PSP as Voice-Contolled Universal Translator?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Parlez-vous Anglais? Speaking-ze English? Press X!
13th Jul 2004

Link to This Article http://news.spong.com/x?art=7126

Talks at the Sony Playstation 2004 meeting in Tokyo have revealed some
interesting possibilities for the much-talked about PSP. First up is
the innovative new software – Talkman. This utilises a PSP microphone
peripheral (separate to the built-in one) and lends it the ability to
recognise and translate voice messages.

Once plugged in, the user will be able to chat to a multi-lingual
cartoon bird character named Max. Max has the ability to translate any
message into one of nine languages, pausing only to correct the user
on pronunciation and sentence structure issues. There's no denying
that's one talented little bird.

If this concept works effectively and manages to circumvent the
usually hilarious mistranslations contained within so many localised
games, it would be quite an impressive feat, and one that ought to
help expand the potential market for the new Sony handheld. Such a
precedent would also help open up the possibilities for future games
that may wish to capitalise on this function.

As soon as there's a full demonstration of Talkman's
internationally-enabled digital tongue, we shall deliver 'notre plein'
verdict
6 answers Last reply
More about voice contolled universal translator
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    In article <b9b54dcc.0407131418.7ebe6d5e@posting.google.com>,
    PSX3 <psx3launch2006@hotmail.com> wrote:
    ^^^
    >Parlez-vous Anglais? Speaking-ze English? Press X!
    >13th Jul 2004
    >
    >Link to This Article http://news.spong.com/x?art=7126

    You know, I wasn't at all serious about R420 changing his posting name,
    but he went and did it anyway. Although the use of a free mail service
    domain name still cuts into the credibility. Reposting other peoples' news
    is just two shades of grey removed from Jayson Blair. :/

    But to the original topic? If the past is any indicator, non-game
    functions in a gaming machine don't tend to add to its popularity or
    usability. Nokia saw fit to leave the radio and the MP3 player out of the
    revised N-Gage after feedback from disgruntled early adopters. People
    don't use the Xbox music archival function like Microsoft thought they
    would, and both Sega and Nintendo didn't think DVD movie playback was
    worth including in their latest consoles since a dedicated player is
    already present in most households.

    If it's a gaming machine, it should play games. Everything else that's
    extra isn't necessarily a bonus. That's just my opinion, of course.

    -KKC, wondering if a Sega CD emulator is in the Dreamcast's future or not.
    --
    -- "I'm going to put a nickel in this jar every time I get - kendrick
    a phone call from a mortgage company trying to make me - @io.com

    this is nice....what about Deaf people??? (how they can speak???)

    "Kendrick Kerwin Chua" <kendrick@io.com> wrote in message
    > In article <b9b54dcc.0407131418.7ebe6d5e@posting.google.com>,
    > PSX3 <psx3launch2006@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > ^^^
    > >Parlez-vous Anglais? Speaking-ze English? Press X!
    > >13th Jul 2004
    > >
    > >Link to This Article http://news.spong.com/x?art=7126
    >
    > You know, I wasn't at all serious about R420 changing his posting name,
    > but he went and did it anyway. Although the use of a free mail service
    > domain name still cuts into the credibility. Reposting other peoples' news
    > is just two shades of grey removed from Jayson Blair. :/
    >
    > But to the original topic? If the past is any indicator, non-game
    > functions in a gaming machine don't tend to add to its popularity or
    > usability. Nokia saw fit to leave the radio and the MP3 player out of the
    > revised N-Gage after feedback from disgruntled early adopters. People
    > don't use the Xbox music archival function like Microsoft thought they
    > would, and both Sega and Nintendo didn't think DVD movie playback was
    > worth including in their latest consoles since a dedicated player is
    > already present in most households.
    >
    > If it's a gaming machine, it should play games. Everything else that's
    > extra isn't necessarily a bonus. That's just my opinion, of course.
    >
    > -KKC, wondering if a Sega CD emulator is in the Dreamcast's future or not.
    > --
    > -- "I'm going to put a nickel in this jar every time I get - kendrick
    > a phone call from a mortgage company trying to make me - @io.com
    > refinance for no good reason. In three or four months,
    > there should be enough money to pay for some mob hits." - KKC

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:19:27 GMT, "Charles C. Curran"
    <hotlancerevoix@se.rr.com> wrote:

    >this is nice....what about Deaf people??? (how they can speak???)

    By a mechanisimim of pushing air from the lungs thought the vocal
    chords and out the mouth. By a series of nerve impulses they can
    control the vocal chord tension and futher adjust the sound by the
    tensining & relaxing of the throat, tongue and mouth.

    Much like anyone else really. Or do you mean Mute people? :-)
    --
    GSX600F - Matilda the cracked teapot, gaffer tape included
    Wipe up catpoo to reply

    Wipe off cat poo to reply
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Bagpuss" <bagpuss.net@ntlcatpooworld.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:19:27 GMT, "Charles C. Curran"
    > <hotlancerevoix@se.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > >this is nice....what about Deaf people??? (how they can speak???)
    >
    > By a mechanisimim of pushing air from the lungs thought the vocal
    > chords and out the mouth. By a series of nerve impulses they can
    > control the vocal chord tension and futher adjust the sound by the
    > tensining & relaxing of the throat, tongue and mouth.
    >
    > Much like anyone else really. Or do you mean Mute people? :-)

    Yeah, I was going to point out that there are many deaf people who can
    speak. Helen Keller was a deaf mute, hence, she lacked that ability.

    > --
    > GSX600F - Matilda the cracked teapot, gaffer tape included
    > Wipe up catpoo to reply
    >
    > Wipe off cat poo to reply
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    On 13 Jul 2004 15:18:39 -0700, psx3launch2006@hotmail.com (PSX3)
    wrote:

    >If this concept works effectively and manages to circumvent the
    >usually hilarious mistranslations contained within so many localised
    >games, it would be quite an impressive feat, and one that ought to
    >help expand the potential market for the new Sony handheld. Such a
    >precedent would also help open up the possibilities for future games
    >that may wish to capitalise on this function.

    There are several companies who have spend millions trying to develop
    stand-alone products with this sort of functionality, and none of them
    have even come close to a reasonable level of success. Even the best
    PC voice recognition software has only a mediocre success rate, and
    translations are even more difficult.

    In other words, the idea that a cheap console system can offer this
    sort of functionality as an 'extra bonus' is an absolute joke. If
    they were actually able to develop a working 'universal translator',
    they could sell it as a stand-alone unit for $1000+ and still sell
    them hand-over-fist (the US army alone would probably buy a few
    hundred thousand of them.)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> wrote in news:juKdncL0
    _rXXzmjdRVn-gg@comcast.com:

    > "Bagpuss" <bagpuss.net@ntlcatpooworld.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:19:27 GMT, "Charles C. Curran"
    >> <hotlancerevoix@se.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >this is nice....what about Deaf people??? (how they can speak???)
    >>
    >> By a mechanisimim of pushing air from the lungs thought the vocal
    >> chords and out the mouth. By a series of nerve impulses they can
    >> control the vocal chord tension and futher adjust the sound by the
    >> tensining & relaxing of the throat, tongue and mouth.
    >>
    >> Much like anyone else really. Or do you mean Mute people? :-)
    >
    > Yeah, I was going to point out that there are many deaf people who can
    > speak. Helen Keller was a deaf mute, hence, she lacked that ability.

    She was able to speak later in life, however.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Video Video Games