Are fan controllers worth the time and money?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I am considering a fan/temp controller/monitor but I am not sure if it is really worth the money and time.

Is it better to have the MoBo control your fans or a separate controller?

Are the temp sensors that are included with these controller kits really that accurate/useful?

Solution
I use one and it wasn't expensive, i think it was 20 bucks,lol. The main difference is typically you have a lot more options for fan speed than what you have using the mobo to set speed. With mine I use it to find the "sweet spot" between fan speed and noise to achieve the best performance while being as quiet as possible, you simply can't do this type of fine adjustment with the mother board.

As far as the temp sensors go, they are almost non important. They do a decent job reading the temperature inside the case but that's all I have found a use for.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I like the idea of a fan controller, but are they really that functional? I mean, I would like to be able to set temp thresholds and fan speeds, but can fan controllers do that?

It seems like they are kind of adjust as you go, right? So you have to adjust them while you are running your games. That seems inconvenient.

Am I missing something? As I said, I really like the idea of them; I just question their functionality.

Could someone who uses them comment on their experiences with these? I really want to get a good idea of how useful they are.

Thanks in advance.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I use one and it wasn't expensive, i think it was 20 bucks,lol. The main difference is typically you have a lot more options for fan speed than what you have using the mobo to set speed. With mine I use it to find the "sweet spot" between fan speed and noise to achieve the best performance while being as quiet as possible, you simply can't do this type of fine adjustment with the mother board.

As far as the temp sensors go, they are almost non important. They do a decent job reading the temperature inside the case but that's all I have found a use for.

Solution