Sign in with
Your question

Need advice/help/ a gun?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 3, 2012 1:56:12 PM

Hi experts, help me.

First build. Be nice.

Corsair AX 750w, Bitfinex Colossus case. Asus z-77 v mobo.

I have connected my sata drives to mobo, no problem. Data cables too, no problem.

The issue Im having concerns connecting the PSU to the mobo.

The 24 pin on mobo, no problem.

Its the 'other' one, the normally 4 pin mobo header.

Mine is 8pin. However, with all the cables supplied to me from Corsair(with the PSU), there doesnt seem to be a single cable with the right plugs/sockets that fit the mobo header.

I do have 3-4 cables with 8 pin headers, but they are the wrong shape, you know, either squared or rounded to fit into the mobo header. Do I just ram it in? Whats going on?

When I watch you tube vids, most mobos just have a 4 pin 12 v header? No one seems to talk about what happens if it is an 8 pin. why does mine have 8?

Does anyone out there have a CorsairAX 750 and have this issue or know how to fix it.

This is killing me, and I dont really want to call the pc pro round this early into the build.

Im going to post this around to try and get as much coverage as possible.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

More about : advice gun

a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 2:03:53 PM

The 8-pin ATX for this PSU is modular - meaning it can be split in half for systems that have a 4-pin EPS (or something). They will look slightly different than the PCI-E connectors, mainly because they can be connected together.

EDIT: kind of like this https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH...
a c 156 V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 3:10:05 PM

All of the PSU connectors are keyed so that they only fit one way. You may need to press pretty hard to get the little latch on the PSU connectors to lock to the motherboard sockets, but do not just "ram them in".
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 4:43:08 PM

First of al,l slow down and Read the Manuals for your motherboard and power supply. you probably have the answers right there.

The 4 pin ATX12v connector on your motherboard is compatible with the 8 pin ATX 12v connector on your power supply. You just need to separate the two pieces and plug in only one of the two. Your power supply manual should tell you which cable to use and how to separate it if necessary.
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 4:50:51 PM

Quote:
The 4 pin ATX12v connector on your motherboard is compatible with the 8 pin ATX 12v connector on your power supply. You just need to separate the two pieces and plug in only one of the two. Your power supply manual should tell you which cable to use and how to separate it if necessary.

I think it's the reverse of this, his board has an 8pin socket. I think his "8pin" PSU cable got separated in shipping or something... ever so slight chance it didn't ship with the PSU (Corsair's fault in that event).

Hopefully he hasn't pulled the gun out. :p 
!