Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Custom Build, Can Not Post/Boot

cieciora

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hi guys, i'm in a real frustrating situation at the moment, ive been trying to fix my custom build now for two days and i have tried everything that i know to try and get it to simply boot for the first time but it wont.

Specs

All brand new.

Intel i7 960
GTX 560TI
8GB (4GBX2) DDR3 1600MHZ Kingston
Corsair 750Watt PSU
Motherboard : Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
h70 watercooling

Okay so just to get it out of the way, i have reset CMOS and ive taken out the battery for several hours, i have also replaced the battery, i have tested the graphics, ram, PSU in another machine and they all work fine as im using them to type this right now ;).

I have taken the motherboard out of the case and tested it with just the CPU, cpu cooler and PSU with 1 stick of RAM in the white slot and still nothing, i have also checked that all of the motherboard stands were in the correct place which they are.

What is happening when i try to boot my system is that the LED lights appear next to the RAM for about two seconds then a RED light flashes next to the boards battery on the SB LED which is the Voltage and then it reboots and it will do the same all day and night and i also have a speaker attached and no beeps are made, so any help on this topic i will seriously appreciate as im pulling my hair out about this.

And finally the motherboard boots and acts the same even if i remove the CPU fan cable!

cieciora

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Ive been looking online and it seems that this motherboard does accept 1600Mhz but only when it is overclocked? So this could be the cause of the problems i am facing as it states that it accepts 1333 and 2000, whilst it does accept 1600Mhz at reduced MHZ, im still unsure if the motherboard will like it on its first boot?

Stubs101

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

I have this motherboard and run G skill 1600. Although I do have to set it to 1600 in the bios but it boots fine with it. This might be a dumb question, but did you make sure to plug in your P8 atx connector. Located near top left hand corner of MOBO. Also this board requires 24 pin atx power connector or a 20 and 4.

cieciora

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Yes both of the power cables are clipped in firmly, the only reason im thinking that the ram might be a problem is because this is a first boot, the system has never actually been switched on and every where i have looked it says that the ram is supported with OC or a change in Bios.

Stubs101

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

I can see how that might be true, but it dont make sense that the south bridge over voltage light would glow red signifying high overvoltage. Sometimes if I try booting with bad timings I will get a boot loop but I wont get the any red lights and I just reset cmos and its boots on default with ram at 1033.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/43712-not-posting-gigabyte-ud3r-rev2-new-build.html

The above link is someone with a similar problem. One guy says that you need to make sure that the current bios version installed supports your cpu. He also said diagnosing based on the led lights is fruitless as they often malfunction. You could pull your cpu and look for bent pins on socket or cpu. You could also check your pcie slots for any damage. All and all it sounds like your gonna need to RMA this board.

Stubs101

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Actually now that I think about it. My G skill runs at 9,9,9,24 but the ud3 default always sets it at 7,7,7,20. Like I said before maybe the my mobo will boot loop if I try and run bad timings. Maybe thats what is happening. The default timings on that MB just dont work for you memory. I still think its weird that your SB lights gets red though.

cieciora

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Yeah well i have gone and got some cheap 1333 ram, to just test to see if the board will at least boot, but now i need to wait for some thermal paste! as ive stripped the system so much the cpu is nearly bare, but fingers crossed the lower mhz ram will work, if not, then im thinking i must have a faulty board, even though it is new, becuase ive tested everything hardware wise as its all in another ( old ) system as im using it all right now.

cieciora

Honorable
May 3, 2012
also ive checked the cpu for bent sockets and ect, and they are flawless as everything is brand new everything is how it should be, and yes i have also seen that people have said that the LED's do malfunction very commonly, but i will have my thermal paste tomorrow and i will be able to reinsert my HS and then try this new ram, and if that fails i think its going to have to be RMA the board.

Stubs101

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Yeah like I said you may need the firmware update for that board to run the 960 CPU, but if thats the case Gigabyte will update it for you when you RMA it.

cieciora

Honorable
May 3, 2012
The board does support my CPU as it is on its support list, and im just hoping that its the case that the board doesnt like the 1600mhz ram for its first initial boot, so with the new 1333 ram in hand to which is on its support list, i will be able to boot, when i get my thermal paste delivered tomorrow so i can reapply the HS.

If not then im going to just RMA this board, but, has anyone got any suggestions if worse comes to the worse on a reliable motherboard with my specs? i was thinking, Asus P6X58D or Asus P9X79 but i think the P9X79 is a bit overkill for my specs.

cieciora

Honorable
May 3, 2012
well i reapplied the thermal paste, and used new ram and no changes, the board still shows the same signs, so im taking this matter as a faulty board so im RMA it today.