Sign in with
Your question

Asus Rampage IV Extreme, 32GB only sees 24GB

Last response: in Memory
May 3, 2012 5:09:53 PM

So I have an Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, 3930K, Corsair H100 cooler.

I bought 8 x 4GB (32GB) 2133 Corsair Dominator GT ram.

When I put it in it only recognized 24 GB in the BIOS and OS.

Playing around with removing dimms and swapping dimms, I have determined (I think) that the inner two slots (the two closest to the CPU) do not recognize memory. That is, whether those two slots are filled or not does not have any impact on the amount of memory recognized.

Is it feasible that this is a hardware fault on those two slots on the motherboard? Could there be another explanation?
May 4, 2012 2:39:23 AM

Best bet is to double check if your operating system is 32-bit versus 64-bit, as 32-bit will limit the amount of memory your system can recognize, and to check what kind of memory controller your processor supports.
a c 85 } Memory
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 471 V Motherboard
May 4, 2012 2:51:26 AM

it not a bad slot but the max the mb is going to see with that ram. if you look under the qual ram for that mb there are only a few dimms that are qual for all eight slots. I think your ram is one that good for 6 slots. or 24 megs. i would email asus to check.
Related resources
May 4, 2012 7:45:44 AM

If it was only compatible for 6 slots, than would this limit mean that two specific slots would be incompatible?

That is:

I install one dimm ALONE in an outer slot on its own and boot. It works and boots with 4G as expected.

I move this same dimm to one of the two innermost slots ALONE again and boot. The machine will not boot.

If there is a limit on the amount of memory it can handle, would this mean that two specific physical memory slots would just not work with this memory? Even if you put in one slot on its own?
May 4, 2012 7:46:42 AM

NerdRampage said:
Best bet is to double check if your operating system is 32-bit versus 64-bit, as 32-bit will limit the amount of memory your system can recognize, and to check what kind of memory controller your processor supports.

OS is irrelevant. It says in the BIOS the Total Memory incorrect, even before it has touched the OS.
May 4, 2012 9:30:47 AM

Ah, well then, is there some type of short where the mobo's contacting the case? Other then that or some kind of faulty settings within BIOS, i would have to say it's a hardware fault in the mobo.
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2012 11:09:17 AM

You will need windows 7 professional 64-bit or windows 7 ultimate 64-bit, as Win7 home premium 64-bit only utilizes 16GB, while in this case it might be irrelevant,
as it's already a problem in the bios.
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2012 12:15:37 PM

Have you connected the Floppy power connector to the board for extra Ram power incase it's not getting enough juice. This is recommended when running all 8 slots full of memeory
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2012 2:26:15 PM

Have u tried to update bios;

here some info from manufacturer web

BIOS Version 1305 2012.04.18 update
Rampage IV Extreme
1.Improve system stability.
2.Improve memory compatibility.

Point 2. seems intresting.....
!