trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
So I went to Microcenter today and picked up some components to upgrade my pc.

Motherboard :
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0358080
CPU :
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354589
RAM :
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0353218
Cooler :
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397

So I'm gonna attempt to install it all tomorrow. Few questions though.

Will I need to reinstall my OS on my HDD? I was under the impression that I would just be able to keep everything and boot straight up to how it was once I hooked everything up since the drives are SATA.

What is the best method of applying thermal paste? Do I need to spread it all out with a card/razor blade, or can I just put down a pea sized drop in the center of the cpu and then place the cooler on top of it, spreading it out evenly?

Anything else that I need to know? Any settings I should be sure to change or enable right away?

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

For the OS, everyone has told me I don't have too, but to avoid issues in the future I should, so I'm just going to. One question I have however, is there a way to do this without loosing data? I know I could back it all up onto an external hdd, but the only one I have is ancient, and is only 40GB. So is there a way with partitions or something to just reinstall W7 on my hdd but keep all the stored data I have without using an external HDD?

As for the thermal compound, I have heard many say the blob in the middle of the cpu is the best method. However, since I have the Hyper 212+, and it's surface isn't flat due to the heat pipes, some have said you need to fill in the gaps and then just put a dot on the cpu and install cooler. Is this necessary, or can I just proceed with the standard pea sized blob in the middle of cpu?

About the RAM, I already have it, and microcenter is a good drive, so getting different is really an option. I realize that since I'm OC 1600 would have been better but since this was only $20 and the guy there said it wouldn't make a huge difference, I just went with this to save $30.

Uther39

Distinguished
Saving your Data will require you to back everything up to an external drive before you upgrade and re-instal the OS.

Thermal paste, for 10 years ive always used an old credit card to get an even thin layer all over the cpu before seating the cooler, this ahs always worked best for me.

RAM, you can always change it later on should you feel the need.

All in all a serious upgrade you have there, enjoy it.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Thanks. Guess I will just back up a few things then, I guess I can put some stuff on my laptop too.

For the thermal past I guess I will fill in the gaps and go from there. Thanks for the advice.

Coming from a C2D E6600 I'm hoping to see a nice boost in performance here. I'd be upgrading the gpu also, but since new series will be released soon I figured I'd hold out. Besides, since I only play at 1680x1050 my 4870 should still do fine. I can always OC it too.

My experience in the HDD change.

MSI K9A2 Pletinum with 790FX chipset to a Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 with 890FX chipset, works without format. Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 to MSI 990FXA-GD65, fail, new OS installation was the only way to use the rig. Coming back from MSI 990FXA-GD65 to 890FXA-UD5 failed too, so, new OS installation again for use the rig.

That's just luck, try, but I'd go with the new OS installation for sure. You need backup all your data before do something, since it's a new OS installation there's not way to install and keep the files at the same time.

I always apply the TIM to the cooler and not to the CPU, I'd fill the gaps and use the two lines for better performance, not too much because can also have problems with that.

Regarding the RAM, sorry for says this but. It's not the same a Honda than a Ferrari.

The build looks fine but like the other have expressed I am very concerned about the memory not only for poor performance but because it doesnt list the voltage on it or who the manufacturer is so that you can look that up. With the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processros like the Intel Core i5-2500K you have you want to make sure that you use memory that is 1.5v or below because it can damage the processor and void your warranty.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
The salesman at micro center told me the brand. I had heard of it. I can't remember the exact name but it was something like adata or a-data, is that a brand or did I get it wrong? And the salesman saw everything I was getting so he made sure that everything was compatible and would work together.

1] Good deal on the processor, I see Newegg are selling it at 219.99 so defo a bargain.

2] That RAM is boarderline cringe material, I would pay the extra 15-20 and get GSkill or Corsair(Vengeance) and at 1600 motherboard permitting.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
So I tried assembling everything last night, but ran into a problem. I had everything hooked up, and in the case. When I went to power on, the lights and fans would turn on/Spin for s brief second, and then nothing.

I figured it could a shorting problem so I took the motherboard out of the case, unplugged evrything while keeping the CPU and cooler mounted along with the ram installed. So then I hooked up the 8 pin and 24 ping and plugged in the CPU fan. Hooked up the case from power switch and tried again. Same thing. Removed both sticks of ram, same result.

Anybody got any ideas? Coult this be caused by me hooking up the front panel wrong or no since the system actually tries to turn on?

Also, the phase power LEDs above the CPU on the motherboard, only one of the 4 lights up for a brief second. Does this mean that it's recognizing the CPU at least? Or should I try reseating the CPU and cooler?

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
It is all put together now, but I am getting bsod consistently. They all seem to say "memory management" at the top. I'm guessing this could indicate bad ram? This has occurred when just sitting at the desktop, or when playing bad company 2. Firefox will also randomly crash, not bsod, just firefox crashes.

So would this point to ram?

Another question about my processor. I know I have the thing enabled where the CPU will clock down really low if it's not doing anything, and I can see how fast it's running with the core temp gadget. At the desktop this gadget is reporting the CPU only running at 100 or even 50mhz. This normal? Is core temp wrong?

EDIT - I believe coretemp is simply reading it wrong. CPUZ reports it running at a low of around 1600mhz

Edit again - just got another bsod at the desktop, this one "iqrl not less or equal". Please help.

With Intel® SpeedStep® a technology that is built into the processor will slow the processor down when it is idle. I believe that the idle speed with the Intel Core™ i5-2500K is 1600MHz, so CPUZ is showing the right information. Here is a nice little tool that you can download and run to show you where you are with Turbo Boost http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19105 .

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

First of all did you change the RAM from the ADATA? With most of the "6" series boards when you put memory that is rated higher then 1.5v, the board will set it down to 1.5v and this maybe cause some problems with poor quality RAM as it may not be stable at that speed.

So if you did change it out, pull one stick and run it in single channel mode and see if it is running stable. If not replace the stick with the other and then do the samething again. This should give you an easy idea as to it being a RAM issue or not.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
No, its still the same ram from ADATA. According to cpuz, it is running at 1.5v, so perhaps that is making it unstable. I have tried changing the sticks from slots 2 and 4 to slots 1 and 3 but it still crashes.

So I should try with one stick in slot one, see if its stable, if not put the other stick in slot 1, and if thats not stable its likely a ram issue?

Would posting the logs from the bsod's help determine if this is being caused by a driver/program or RAM? I'm willing to go out and buy different RAM, I just want to be sure that's the problem before I do. Thanks for all the help so far.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
So where do I find the logs for the bsod's?

I'll post those, and then try running just one stick of the ram I have.

If replacement ram is needed, what should I get? Will any gskill, corsair, crucial, kingston 4th kit do? Is it worth the extra to get 1600 if I'm oc?