Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking: Does it reduce the life of a GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2011 4:02:44 AM

Simple question with perhaps a complicated answer.

I'm new to hardware and contemplating my first build.

Will be looking at Nvidea's 560Ti series or ATI's 6750 series.

Both can be overclocked quite well according to my reading.

What are the risks of following a guided overclocking process?

Come to think of it... I would have the same question of CPU's (i.e. 2500k or 2600k)

If a factory build (non-overclock) gets the job done today, is it better to leave it at factory settings vs. overclocking to increase the lifespan of a hardware piece?

Or does it really not matter at all provided it's supported with proper peripherals (cooling,etc.)???

Thanks!!!
March 12, 2011 4:17:39 AM

I'm not sure about the lifetime reduce of GPU if you OC it, but if you're happy with your GPU's performance, don't OC.. if you're not, then research a lot before you decide!!
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2011 4:38:42 AM

KiwiRich said:

Will be looking at Nvidea's 560Ti series or ATI's 6750 series.

AFAIK HD6750 is only available to OEM and they we direct re-brand from 5750 with minor improvement. btw regarding your question i think it is fine to overclock your gpu or cpu. current hardware are more tolerant to overclock compared to hardware from past years. in fact overclocking become one of selling point these days. if not we won't be seeing k series cpu from intel. regarding the life-span the OC might shorten it but i know some people OC their CPU for 2-3 years and they still fine. however cooling is important when you overclock since the core (gpu or cpu) will generate more heat since they operate on higher frequencies than they were rated. if you not sure how to overclock it is better for to look up on some guides before making an attempt on yours especially on the overvolt matter. overvolt are needed if you want to go higher than the stock voltage can allow but if done wrongly it will fried your component.
m
l
!