Notebook Microphone

Two notebooks ago, I had a built in microphone in my notebook. I had
no use for it. Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
built in microphone.

VJC
5 answers Last reply
More about notebook microphone

    Cuzin Vinnie wrote:

    > Two notebooks ago, I had a built in microphone in my notebook. I had
    > no use for it. Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
    > and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
    > notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
    > built in microphone.

    One possibility is that unless you're in a very quiet environment voice
    recognition works _much_ better with a noise-cancelling mike on a headset.
    One built into the machine would also pick up any sound the machine was
    making, and even if it _seems_ quiet, it may be making noise that would be
    transmitted to internal components through the chassis.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    Cuzin Vinnie <cworetnav@cox.net> wrote:
    >notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
    >built in microphone.

    My Dell Latitude D600's mic is so good I can have a full-duplex Skpye
    conversation that sounds like the other person is in the same room
    with me. Duno how good it is for voice recognition, though, that's a
    different application...

    Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
    > and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
    > notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
    > built in microphone.

    My T40 has a built in microphone - which is useless for voice recognition -
    all the vibrations of the hardrive and GPU make the output terrible.

    Duncan.

    "Cuzin Vinnie" <cworetnav@cox.net> wrote in message
    | Two notebooks ago, I had a built in microphone in my notebook. I had
    | no use for it. Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
    | and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
    | notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
    | built in microphone.
    |
    | VJC

    Probably because two notebooks ago people discovered they had no use for it.
    ;-)

    Voice recognition in the mainstream still hasn't lived up to it's potential.
    Built in microphone quality is generally so poor that it's of little use for
    voice recognition.

    --
    Doug

    Cuzin Vinnie wrote:
    > Two notebooks ago, I had a built in microphone in my notebook. I had
    > no use for it. Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
    > and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
    > notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
    > built in microphone.
    >
    > VJC

    Because now most laprops have bluetooth which you can pair to a Jabra
    headset and have a much better mic than any internal mic could be.

    Stavros

Microphone Notebooks Laptops