Notebook Microphone

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 11:55:09 AM

Two notebooks ago, I had a built in microphone in my notebook. I had
no use for it. Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
built in microphone.

VJC

More about : notebook microphone

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 1:53:56 PM

Cuzin Vinnie wrote:

> Two notebooks ago, I had a built in microphone in my notebook. I had
> no use for it. Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
> and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
> notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
> built in microphone.

One possibility is that unless you're in a very quiet environment voice
recognition works _much_ better with a noise-cancelling mike on a headset.
One built into the machine would also pick up any sound the machine was
making, and even if it _seems_ quiet, it may be making noise that would be
transmitted to internal components through the chassis.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Cuzin Vinnie <cworetnav@cox.net> wrote:
>notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
>built in microphone.

My Dell Latitude D600's mic is so good I can have a full-duplex Skpye
conversation that sounds like the other person is in the same room
with me. Duno how good it is for voice recognition, though, that's a
different application...
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 6:06:22 PM

Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
> and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
> notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
> built in microphone.

My T40 has a built in microphone - which is useless for voice recognition -
all the vibrations of the hardrive and GPU make the output terrible.

Duncan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 6:16:33 PM

"Cuzin Vinnie" <cworetnav@cox.net> wrote in message
| Two notebooks ago, I had a built in microphone in my notebook. I had
| no use for it. Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
| and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
| notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
| built in microphone.
|
| VJC

Probably because two notebooks ago people discovered they had no use for it.
;-)

Voice recognition in the mainstream still hasn't lived up to it's potential.
Built in microphone quality is generally so poor that it's of little use for
voice recognition.

--
Doug
Anonymous

Cuzin Vinnie wrote:
> Two notebooks ago, I had a built in microphone in my notebook. I had
> no use for it. Now, I'm using GPS software which has voice recognition
> and I would like a bulilt in microphone. Why is it that all the
> notebooks they are selling with all bells and whistles now don't have a
> built in microphone.
>
> VJC

Because now most laprops have bluetooth which you can pair to a Jabra
headset and have a much better mic than any internal mic could be.

Stavros
!