need2know

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Just got my new amd cpu today and realized I don't know whether it's better to just install the stock heatsink as-is, or is it better to scrape off (or use rubbing alcohol?) that thermal patch thing and use my own paste?
(note: I only have paste, no arctic silver. So it's between the paste or leave it as-is).

[side question: is there a way to search these forums? Do you just use that generic Search box at the very top of the page? or is there a better way, that is JUST for the Forums?]

Thanks!

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If you are not going to be overclocking you can just stick with the stock pad. If you decide to do some overclocking i would reccomend applying something like arctic silver.

You can use the main search menu at the top and then when the results come back click on forums in the content type.

need2know

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

The thermal paste I have says on the tiny tube:
Silicone Heatsink Paste AK-100. What do you think, still stick with the pad?

I haven't decided whether I am going to oc yet, but let's assume I am.

But if I do then I am concerned with "permanent contamination" (see below)

from Arctic Silver's site:
"Thermal pad removal:  Most thermal pads are made with paraffin wax that melts once it gets hot.  As it melts, the wax fills the microscopic valleys in the heatsink and metal cap of the CPU.  To minimize permanent contamination of the heatsink and metal cap, the thermal pad should be  removed from the heatsink prior to turning on the computer."

So, is this a valid concern? or scare tactics to get people to buy Arctic Silver?
Thanks for your help!

need2know

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

I wouldn't call it scare tactics as more of a reminder that you do not mix thermal compounds.

Although the idea of permanent contamination? :lol: