Photo to fit frame

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 26, 2005 7:30:53 PM

I need to reduce photo to specific dimensions. I have all the usual
programmes - paintshop. , photoquicker, Photoshop - but how can I ensure a
print is to the correct size

--

Regards

John

More about : photo fit frame

February 26, 2005 7:30:54 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:30:53 GMT, John wrote:

> I need to reduce photo to specific dimensions. I have all the usual
> programmes - paintshop. , photoquicker, Photoshop - but how can I ensure a
> print is to the correct size

I use Paint Shop Pro's Print Multiple Images feature (File menu). It works
fine with single images also (!), and tells you the final printed image
size (although only to the nearest tenth of an inch, which is a little
sloppy for my taste).

HTH

Pete
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:30:54 PM

John wrote:

> I need to reduce photo to specific dimensions. I have all the usual
> programmes - paintshop. , photoquicker, Photoshop - but how can I ensure a
> print is to the correct size

With all the print sizes out there, you'll have to crop bits off the
top/bottom and sides to fit because most image sizes have different
aspect ratios.

With photoshop you can choose the Marquee tool from the toolbox.
(It's the dotted line square).. Set the style to 'fixed aspect ratio'
and put the correct width and height in the boxes to the right.
Now you can drag the fixed aspect ratio square to select what you
want in your print.

Once you've cropped the image to the correct aspect ratio, go into
Image -> Resize and change the inches to what you want.
February 26, 2005 7:30:54 PM

John commented courteously ...

> I need to reduce photo to specific dimensions. I have
> all the usual programmes - paintshop. , photoquicker,
> Photoshop - but how can I ensure a print is to the
> correct size

Don't have any version of PS John, but in Paint Shop Pro
8 and 9 (but not 7), you can specify the *exact* size you
want directly in the File>Print dialog box by clicking on
the Custom Offset radio button and typing in the size in
inches that you want.

No need to fiddle with resampling or PPI, unless you
really want to...

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

Jim Townsend commented courteously ...

> With all the print sizes out there, you'll have to
> crop bits off the top/bottom and sides to fit because
> most image sizes have different aspect ratios.

That's particularly true for 4 x 6 (3:2) rather than
full-page 8.5 x 11 if John is using the aspect ratio for
4:3 for "standard" VGA/Windows graphics files.

If John has PSP 8/9, there're built-in crop tool presets
for the most common print sizes that'll help a lot.

Not disputing you, just adding some info for the OP...

--
ATM, aka Jerry
February 26, 2005 8:38:18 PM

Drat - I have version 7

--

Regards

John

>> I need to reduce photo to specific dimensions. I have
>> all the usual programmes - paintshop. , photoquicker,
>> Photoshop - but how can I ensure a print is to the
>> correct size
>
> Don't have any version of PS John, but in Paint Shop Pro
> 8 and 9 (but not 7), you can specify the *exact* size you
> want directly in the File>Print dialog box by clicking on
> the Custom Offset radio button and typing in the size in
> inches that you want.
>
> No need to fiddle with resampling or PPI, unless you
> really want to...
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry

Drat - I have version 7

--

Regards

John
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 8:38:19 PM

John commented courteously ...

> Drat - I have version 7

No cause for concern, John!

Short term, just download the 60-day trial version of 9,
it'll get you past your immediate problem. PSP 7 has the
old PhotoShop version of resampling to a specific print
size which is inaccurate and very confusing. Jasc fixed
that (finally) in 8.

Take a look at Jasc's web site for the features of 9,
there're are *plenty* enough for you to upgrade, albeit
not a good topic for me to discuss right now...

(Jasc sold out to Corel last October but still has their
own website!).

If you have any PSP-specific questions, give me a holler
either here or at usenet123@comcast.net. I have no ax to
grind with respect to PSP vs. any other app, but I may be
able to help you over the rough spots.

See also my reply to Jim Townsend which may or may not
affect you...

Good luck!

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:48:20 -0600, All Things Mopar
<usenetMAPS123@comcast.net> wrote:

>John commented courteously ...
>
>> Drat - I have version 7
>>

>No cause for concern, John!
>
>Short term, just download the 60-day trial version of 9,
>it'll get you past your immediate problem.

He said that he had Photoshop and you suggested downloading and
running a trial of something that photoshop can already do easily?
Why?

> PSP 7 has the
>old PhotoShop version of resampling to a specific print
>size which is inaccurate and very confusing. Jasc fixed
>that (finally) in 8.
>
>Take a look at Jasc's web site for the features of 9,
>there're are *plenty* enough for you to upgrade, albeit
>not a good topic for me to discuss right now...
>
>(Jasc sold out to Corel last October but still has their
>own website!).
>
>If you have any PSP-specific questions, give me a holler
>either here or at usenet123@comcast.net. I have no ax to
>grind with respect to PSP vs. any other app, but I may be
>able to help you over the rough spots.
>
>See also my reply to Jim Townsend which may or may not
>affect you...
>
>Good luck!
>
>--
>ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:30:50 AM

>>John commented courteously ...
>>
>>> Drat - I have version 7
>>
>>No cause for concern, John!
>>
>He said that he had Photoshop and you suggested downloading
> and running a trial of something that photoshop can already
> do easily? Why?

Because John also said he had PSP 7, or so I thought, based on the snip above.

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 04:30:50 GMT, personal@advisor.none (Lewis
Rothschild) wrote:

>>>John commented courteously ...

>>>No cause for concern, John!
>>>
>>He said that he had Photoshop and you suggested downloading
>> and running a trial of something that photoshop can already
>> do easily? Why?
>
>Because John also said he had PSP 7, or so I thought, based on the snip above.
>
>--
>ATM, aka Jerry

I saw that, I also saw the part about having photoshop (no version
given) but it has been able to easily reduce photos to specific
dimensions since at least 6 versions back. No biggie, I just tend to
avoid loading unneccessary programs onto my computer. Seems some are
next to impossible to completely remove.
!