Hd5450 compatibility issue

the truth

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hi ive just built a basic rig for a friend with a K8NF4G-SATA2 mb. IT boots up no problem and works like a gem
for what it is. It has 6100 nvidia itregrated graphics. The problem is he wants a basic graphics card at some point
so i thaught id try a hd5450 that ive got kicking arround and when i boot the pc i get a black screen. this happens
whether im plugged in to the onboard gfx or the card. If the card is unplugged the intergrated gfx work fine again.
Any ideas? thanks

the truth

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hi thanks for the response im going to update the bios to see if that helps. Ill also ttry to dissable the OBG. The board is pci-e v1.0 but i thaught all cards were backwards compatible?? (just with reduced bandwidth) btw i know the card is fine i have it plugged in my other rig and now checking it. oh and sorry the mb is not the r2 version just the K8NF4G-SATA2. Have you ever heard of problems like this before?

the truth

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Right ive done all these things but still had no luck. Im wondering this card is fairly new and has no power connection it just runs off the board my new board has a 20+4 pin power connecter where as the old board has only the 20 pin connecter could this be the problem that theres not enough power coming through the board?
maybe the old rig would be better with an older gpu with a 4 pin plug on it? what do you guys think?