Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1200 Gaming System Help

Last response: in Systems
May 21, 2011 11:17:56 PM

Hello Everyone!

I'm really excited to be here, my MSI 975x platinum PUE motherboard just blew up so it is time. I am looking to build a gaming PC, a system that will run smooth and have zero issues with low fps. I really must stress my concern for no stuttering when I play games, It's my number priority in avoiding.

Below are some items I have picked out and I look forward to hearing the responses.

Cooler Master Storm Scout Case
Intel 2500k Sandy Bridge CPU I don't understand why there are two prices for this @ newegg unless I am not noticing the difference.

The mother board, I am stuck between the Asus P8P67 or ASUS P8Z68 but open for anything suggested--- I have noticed a trend with the P8P67 bios being very buggy according to overclockers forum.

For the Ram, I did not have luck Oc'ing with Corsair so I haven't touched that yet...

Do you all think I still can use my EVGA video card?

Approximate Purchase Date: This Week

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) $1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly Gaming and possibly light video editing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS,TruePower 550w 2.0

EVGA GTS 8800 512mb

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whichever site has fast delivery and great prices

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I am trying to avoid MSI just because I had a terrible time with my 975x platinum powerup-- the hours I spent trying to Oc it.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe-would really like to

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

Additional Comments: I already have windows so need for a OS. I also have a sata 500gb seagate drive from back in 2007, would consider upgrading to increase game performance.

Thank you again everyone!!

Me

More about : 1200 gaming system

Best solution

May 21, 2011 11:59:12 PM

Check out my build guide for the $1200 or the $1000 build. It's in my siggy. I do not advise trying to find another GTS 8800 to SLI because a 6950 2GB equates to about 3 of those. So yeah a modern card would be smarter. If you want to SLI in the future then I would strongly suggest switching out the PSU and GPU.

http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
May 22, 2011 12:47:17 AM

Hey AznShinobi

I like the 1200$ build, looks nice although I have a question.. Would those MSI Cyclone 6850's (2 in Sli) prevent stuttering in my games? I rather shoot more money out if I can prevent that.
m
l
Related resources
May 22, 2011 12:58:11 AM

Well first, it's Crossfire, not SLI. SLI is Nvidia, CF/Crossfire is AMD.
As for FPS stuttering, it's hard to say. If the games you are playing are FPS's then most of the time, yes it'll help to prevent the stuttering. If it is RTS and or MMORPG's not exactly MMO's and RTS's tend to favor the single card over 2 cards. So it all depends. What is the game you'll play the most?
m
l
May 22, 2011 1:36:05 AM

aznshinobi said:
Well first, it's Crossfire, not SLI. SLI is Nvidia, CF/Crossfire is AMD.
As for FPS stuttering, it's hard to say. If the games you are playing are FPS's then most of the time, yes it'll help to prevent the stuttering. If it is RTS and or MMORPG's not exactly MMO's and RTS's tend to favor the single card over 2 cards. So it all depends. What is the game you'll play the most?

Well, before my system broke-- I just started playing Crysis.. I just ended my RIFT binge so I am not going to playing online games for a long time. So I would say single player Crysis type of games is where I want to focus on. I am looking forward to Elder Scrolls as well.
m
l
May 22, 2011 1:41:08 AM

Well in that case, I think that going with an SOC'd 560 Ti would be smart here. It'll perform like 570, although not to the level of CF 6850, it'd be more than enough performance.
m
l
May 29, 2011 3:06:58 AM

Best answer selected by syntexrider.
m
l
!