Ways to bypass security by network provider?

bcake00

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Hey guys!
I was going to do some port forwarding on my Xavi X5258-P2 router when i ran into some problems. Firstly i could not access the admin account, only the user one. In this account i can edit the ssid & password, besides this i can check some settings...nothing else. After 2 days of googling and emailing my internet provider i've concluded a couple of things:
-port forwarding is possible on this router even though my provider says that it's not and that all the ports are already open
-my provider has, by hardware or software modding, prevented its customers from getting admin. If i were to buy this router myself i would have access to the admin account

So, given up on all hope of contacting the broadband service...i've come here!

Is there a way to bypass the security in order to get admin access? After all, i'm paying to be able to use my router to my benefits. I've hear that it would be possible to master reset the router while it being unplugged from the internet socket.
Anyways, i'll appreciate any help. Thanks in advance :)

G

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/726519-manual-xavi-x5258-p2-modem.html

This seems to be a link to the manual for your router. It should include the default user name and password needed to access the user setup screens. If they have been changed you can restore the defaults by finding the reset button. On most routers the User Name is admin and the default password is usually admin or password or the ISP's name or 1234

Of course, your ISP may have installed modded firmware. The usual way round that is to reflash with the manufacturer's latest version -- again see the manual or visit the manufacturer's site.

G

@sagalout -- if your clients on Sky have that kind of issue they could always reflash the router with the original Sky firmware. For instructions on dumping Sky firmware and restoring it (mostly for the Netgear DG834GT) www.skyuser.co.uk

bcake00

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/726519-manual-xavi-x5258-p2-modem.html

This seems to be a link to the manual for your router. It should include the default user name and password needed to access the user setup screens. If they have been changed you can restore the defaults by finding the reset button. On most routers the User Name is admin and the default password is usually admin or password or the ISP's name or 1234

Of course, your ISP may have installed modded firmware. The usual way round that is to reflash with the manufacturer's latest version -- again see the manual or visit the manufacturer's site.

Well the link to the manual was dead...

But i tried this:
-unplugged the network cable from the wall socket
-connected to pc with ethernet cable
-reset the router

now to go to the right adress in my browser the ISP had told me to change the following under Internet Protocol (TCP/IP):

IP: 192.168.1.100
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Standard-gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1
Alternate DNS: <empty>

i'm just saying this to emphasize that my ISP is controlling the router.

Anyways i used U: Admin P: Admin and i got in...changed a shitload of settings to my preference, got out. When i then reconnected the network cable to the wall socket my router automatically reset and returned to default settings again, preventing me from accessing admin prefs -.-'

I went to Xavi's site (which looks dead and unprofessional :pfff: ) and couldn't find any support or fw's to download. So i emailed them.

Are there any general patches available online that will fix my problem, tricking the ISP?
Thanks for your help!

bcake00

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I just discovered this post in a forum (translated to english):
x5258 - controlled, wireless, VoIP, splitter incorperated

It says that there are no ports to forward, because it's in "controlled mode". So it's only a modem, therefore all ports are already forwarded.

It makes no sense to me, do you guys get it? If all ports are forwarded, why does the checking system on portforward.com give me negative?

@sagalout -- if your clients on Sky have that kind of issue they could always reflash the router with the original Sky firmware. For instructions on dumping Sky firmware and restoring it (mostly for the Netgear DG834GT) www.skyuser.co.uk

Thanks for that but I have to work around Sky on a regular basis, particularly when their Netgears pack up and they want to charge their customers £28 for a replacement while I can supply a reasonable alternative for fifteen quid. I do think it's anti-competitive though but surprisngly, no authority seems to want to take on or upset a company with the name of Murdoch over the door.

G

Sky's closed firmware policy is reasonable for a plug and play type of service -- and it ensures that they can do remote updates (which they did and got the bugs out of the white Netgear). To my knowledge they replace routers free -- anyway ours has been trouble free for five years or so.

I'm quite fond of that router. It turns up at car boot sales for a couple of quid and can be reflashed using Netgear's utility designed to wipe corrupt firmware updates. Then put back into use for other ISPs. The major problems with it are overheating from not using the stupid feet and that the wireless section is mini-PCI and can fall out of the socket.

A few years ago Sky tried to get their used routers pulled off e-bay but seem to have given up on that -- perhaps because their claim to own the firmware was spurious (the router using Linux code) and anyway no-one on e-bay wanted their firmware, just the hardware !

It isn't really being highjacked - just some comments that sit alongside your problem and might help another poster. My best shot at your problem was only going to be to suggest you forgot to click on Appy or Save Settings or somesuch but I didn't bothert o post it in case you felt insulted. It would, however, explain a thing or two about the changes you made not sticking. :D

G

Insult or not, it's pretty common for people just to exit from router settings by closing the browser -- and then wonder why the settings don't stick !