Integrated to Dedicated Switch

screemer11

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Can I switch between the integrated graphics card on a i5-2500k and a 6850 with the H67 motherboard? I want to be able to turn off the dedicated card if I'm not utilizing it, and save myself the heat and noise of the card. Is there a way to do this?

I am not sure how easy that will be, i mean there are laptops build from the factory to work this way(i am not sure it if its a hardware or software solution, but to share the same screen, they need to be able to route video output from either card, so i guess its hardware + software).

To be honest, that card will clock it self down real low(100mhz) when idle and cut power consumption and heat down quite a bit.

you would have to move the screen plug as well each time. I am not sure if the card it self disabled works well. It may run like it has no drivers, in that case the card will run at full speed all the time.

If you sit in the bios, you will notice that the video card fan will slowly get louder and louder until you get to windows and the driver loads. This allows the card to drop its speed and the fan thereby slows down with the lower temperatures.

You will have to test it, I have nothing with onboard to test with on me right now. :)