Sign in with
Your question

Integrated to Dedicated Switch

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2011 4:16:20 PM

Can I switch between the integrated graphics card on a i5-2500k and a 6850 with the H67 motherboard? I want to be able to turn off the dedicated card if I'm not utilizing it, and save myself the heat and noise of the card. Is there a way to do this?
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2011 9:56:54 PM

What is the make and model of your mobo? Does the system manual not address this?
March 12, 2011 9:59:43 PM

I haven't gotten the motherboard yet, this is a new build I'm trying to make up. I'm getting the P8H67 EVO from ASUS.
Related resources
a c 99 U Graphics card
a c 104 V Motherboard
March 13, 2011 12:23:44 AM

I am not sure how easy that will be, i mean there are laptops build from the factory to work this way(i am not sure it if its a hardware or software solution, but to share the same screen, they need to be able to route video output from either card, so i guess its hardware + software).

To be honest, that card will clock it self down real low(100mhz) when idle and cut power consumption and heat down quite a bit.

March 13, 2011 12:55:31 AM

So, then I couldn't just disable one and enable the other in device manager and reboot, or would that be able to work?
a c 99 U Graphics card
a c 104 V Motherboard
March 13, 2011 1:17:53 AM

you would have to move the screen plug as well each time. I am not sure if the card it self disabled works well. It may run like it has no drivers, in that case the card will run at full speed all the time.

If you sit in the bios, you will notice that the video card fan will slowly get louder and louder until you get to windows and the driver loads. This allows the card to drop its speed and the fan thereby slows down with the lower temperatures.

You will have to test it, I have nothing with onboard to test with on me right now. :) 
March 13, 2011 1:33:33 AM

Could you disable the PCI slot that leads to the board, thereby cutting off power to the board in all?
a c 99 U Graphics card
a c 104 V Motherboard
March 13, 2011 4:13:06 AM

that is a good question, i am not sure how you would do this. in general the card will get power from both the psu and pci-e slot(i know its both the psu, but you get the point.).
March 13, 2011 6:47:24 PM

I've never had a card where you can hear the fan at 20% speed. Problem solved.
!