Asus P8Z77-V CPU Fan error

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiji

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hi, this is my first time building a PC.

I install everything (except SSD/HDD) on a table. Nothing is put in the case yet. (I followed the Newegg building PC part 2 to test if it'll POST first). Well, when I turn it on the first time, it POST but it said the CPU fan is not on, which it is but one of the PSU power cable was touching it (while it spin). So I move the PSU cable out of the way. Now, when I turn it on, it still gives me the CPU fan error. Also, the BOOT_DEVICE_LED on the motherboard is red. Btw, I plug the CPU fan in the CPU_FAN, not CPU_OPT. Can someone help me fix this problem? (Note: The COM1 LED is on solid green all the time..before and after the incident...is that normal?).

PC spec:
ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard
Intel i7-3770K CPU (will overclock to 4.5Ghz)
nVidia GTX 550 Ti graphic card (one only)
OCZ ZT 650W PSU
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 4x4GB (16GB)
Crucial m4 128GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB harddrive (temporary until HDD price goes down)
CM Storm Enforcer case + 1 additional 200mm fan (top)
CM Hyper 212+ cooler

Solution
that what he have to do for the system on a 212 fan like you got ,power green is ok then you need a ssd or hdd so device led will go green

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
i would check all the cable maybe one is disconnect from the board also try the mem ok button,check in witch slot you put the memory,does any of hte onboard post state led are on and page 2-29 for the port com all this in the motherboard user manual

teiji

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Yes, I just figured out I had a lose ATX cable. Now, I keep on getting "CPU Fan error," even though the CPU fan is spinning (~700RPM) (I checked in UEFI).

teiji

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Yes, I did. I connect the CPU fan in the CPU_FAN socket.It is spinning and when I check UEFI, it reports the CPU_FAN runs at ~700RPM. I did found a post similar to mine, and the person recommend lowering the CPU_FAN minimum speed below 600, which I did and seems to eliminate the "CPU FAN error" on POST ( http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/815958.aspx ). However, I'm not sure if this is the correct way to solve the problem. What do you guys think?

Also, a few unrelated comments on my noobiness:
-In the OP I mentioned the COM1 LED is on solid green. It was actually the SB_PWR (standby power) LED.
-The BOOT_DEVICE_LED is still on solid red, but I think it is because I didn't plug in any SSD/HDD/USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.