HD Radeon 6850 Crossfire Issue

Hello all,

I'm writing in regards to an issue I'm having with crossfiring my ATI HD Radeon 6850 cards. I just upgraded a number of core parts and noticed after setting up my drivers and programs that my second GPU wasn't being used in Crossfire. Upon further inspection, I discovered my second card wasn't doing anything at all! Although it was receiving power, only the fan was registered as running.

To see if the card was faulty, I removed the first card in order to run the second on its own. It showed no problems and functioned just as well as the first. I have updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest version, and reinstalled the drivers for my cards before trying to Crossfire them again, but I have seen no change.

Here are my system specs:

1. MSI 890FZA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

2. AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

3. GIGABYTE GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossfireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

I also have 8Gb of DDR3 RAM in the case and my OS is Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I don't know what other details you may need, so please let me know what to provide and I'll edit it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
10 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6850 crossfire issue
  1. what crossfire bridge are you using, maybe that is the issue
  2. I have two short ones that were sent with the cards, and a long one sent with the mobo. I've tried all to no effect. =/ I've even moved them into different slots to see if that was the issue.
  3. Im sorry, you see this all the time and it does not help. I had the same situation here as well asus formula iv board 2 6970 cards. First would recognize, the second would not. One of either card fine. I then discovered that one of the 6 pin plugs popped out a bit. Plugged it back in, ran Driversweeper. "first uninstalled all my ati drivers" , updated by bios, and now they are both showing up. Trick is, they did both show up before I rebooted and lost them in an earlier case. It may be a lacking or faulty power situation for both cards to be in at the same time. I am not feeling to good about my current situation , waiting for one to magically disapear again.

TJKazmark said:
    Hello all,

I'm writing in regards to an issue I'm having with crossfiring my ATI HD Radeon 6850 cards. I just upgraded a number of core parts and noticed after setting up my drivers and programs that my second GPU wasn't being used in Crossfire. Upon further inspection, I discovered my second card wasn't doing anything at all! Although it was receiving power, only the fan was registered as running.

To see if the card was faulty, I removed the first card in order to run the second on its own. It showed no problems and functioned just as well as the first. I have updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest version, and reinstalled the drivers for my cards before trying to Crossfire them again, but I have seen no change.

Here are my system specs:

1. MSI 890FZA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

2. AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

3. GIGABYTE GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossfireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

I also have 8Gb of DDR3 RAM in the case and my OS is Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I don't know what other details you may need, so please let me know what to provide and I'll edit it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  4. uninstall all ATI drivers. Reboot and maybe even do a driver sweep. Then reboot again and install drivers. Make sure to install the CF App Profiles available as a separate download on the AMD drivers page. And of course double check all plugs and connections.

Also you may need to use only one, or two, CF bridges. Sometimes 2 causes issues but sometimes it's needed for stability.
  5. By chance what games are you playing as that can have an effect as some don't support sli/crossfire?
  6. wolfram23 said:
    uninstall all ATI drivers. Reboot and maybe even do a driver sweep. Then reboot again and install drivers. Make sure to install the CF App Profiles available as a separate download on the AMD drivers page. And of course double check all plugs and connections.

This is the way to do it. On my crossfire system, every time I added an additional card (up to the 3rd), I had to re-install the AMD video drivers (per Woflram's instructions above) for each card to be "recognized" properly. When I switched cards around - moving card 1 to slot 3 and card 3 to slot 1 - I had to do the same.
  7. I'm having the same problem... I've done all that has been suggested and still no solutions... Both cards work when used alone, but in crossfire, the 2nd card shows no activity at all... Smdh! I'm starting to regret going AMD right now...
  8. chefboyeb said:
    I'm having the same problem... I've done all that has been suggested and still no solutions... Both cards work when used alone, but in crossfire, the 2nd card shows no activity at all... Smdh! I'm starting to regret going AMD right now...

What are you using to determine whether the 2nd card is active or not?
  9. ubercake said:
    What are you using to determine whether the 2nd card is active or not?

Programs and utilities like gpuz.
  10. Give us a list of games that you are playing because not all make use of corssfire and sli?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire Radeon Graphics Product