Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Having trouble setting up new wireless router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 24, 2010 3:20:42 PM

I just ordered this router from Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and started setting it up. I didn't have too many problems creating the SSID, setting up security, etc. on the new network, but once I tried using it to actually access the internet, the router was not providing any internet access, either through wireless or ethernet. I know for certain that the internet connection is working, since I am using it now to post this question on the old router.

Are there any settings I need to change that may be causing the lack of internet access? Did I just get a bad unit? Any suggestions would help, as I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here.

P.S. In case it matters for instructions, the PC I'm using is running Windows 7.
Anonymous
November 24, 2010 4:08:38 PM

Your link to newegg isn't working.

So I'm guessing that you have bought an integrated ADSL modem-router with wireless.

There are two side to that -- LAN which it sounds like you've sorted out and WAN which is the settings appropriate to your connection to the ISP.

Have a look at the settings in your old router and copy those. If that doesn't work have a look at your ISP's homesite and see if it has instruction on setting up popular router models to work with its service.

As a last resort call the ISP and get them to talk you thru setting up WAN.
m
l
November 25, 2010 2:45:15 AM

What type of internet access do you have?

Is the LAN IP on both routers the same?

In most cases having the WAN side of your router set to Automatic (DHCP) works.

m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2010 3:01:44 AM

The tricky part is that I live in an apartment complex where the internet is provided for us, so I do not interact directly with the ISP. However, I believe the provider is Charter.

No, the IP is not the same on both routers. I'm not sure what the older router's IP is, but it's not the same as the new one's, which is 192.168.0.155.

I have the WAN set to DHCP on both routers, but the new one is not working.
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:23:58 AM

What is your IP when using the old router?

What make and model is the old router?
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:30:15 AM

The old router is a Linksys BEFW11S4. The IP address is 192.168.1.1.

Also, I just went into the settings of the new router and changed the IP to match the old router's IP address, but nothing changed. Not sure if I should change that back or leave it be.
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:42:30 AM

on the linksys what is the MAC address that it is set to?

You might have to enter it in the new router.
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:54:30 AM

The MAC address on the Linksys is 00-0C-41-71-2B-D3. I tried setting that for the new router, but still nothing. However, I'm not sure what the difference is between the WAN MAC address and the LAN MAC address. The one I changed was the WAN MAC.
m
l
November 25, 2010 4:34:37 AM

Okay set the new router's LAN IP back to 192.168.0.1.

connect the new router's WAN port to one of the four LAN ports on the old router. see if you can connect to the internet.
m
l
November 25, 2010 5:16:27 AM

Ok, I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice so far.
m
l
November 25, 2010 2:31:17 PM

It worked! I have the new router WAN port connected to an old router LAN port, and now I can access the internet through the new router.

What do I do now? Is there something to make this work without the old router too?

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:01:14 PM

Hmm, don't know why it just happened, but now the new router dropped the internet connection again. I didn't change anything, it was the same setup as before, it just suddenly dropped out even though the old router still has a connection.
m
l

Best solution

November 25, 2010 3:27:28 PM

I not sure but it sounds like it is time to try a different router.
November 25, 2010 3:39:55 PM

That's what I was thinking too. Well, thank you very much for your help and advice. Enjoy the holidays!
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:40:14 PM

Best answer selected by burnley14.
m
l
!