$450 Gaming Build

I'm building a budget-gaming computer for a friend (cheap sorta dude lol) this summer and I'm just planning out what I'm going to do. Here is my build.

Ratings, suggestions and opinions please :)

Sapphire ATI Radeon 5830 1GB - $103
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz - $125
Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3+ Motherboard - $55
Patriot Extreme 2x2GB DDR3 1333 RAM - $36
Hitachi 500GB HDD - $40
ASUS 24x DVD-Writer - $20
Cooler Master Elite 310 Silver Mid Case - $40
Antec TP-550 Power Supply - $73

Final Cost: $492
16 answers Last reply
More about gaming build
  1. Darcy190 said:
    I'm building a budget-gaming computer for a friend (cheap sorta dude lol) this summer and I'm just planning out what I'm going to do. Here is my build.

Ratings, suggestions and opinions please :)

Sapphire ATI Radeon 5830 1GB - $120
    AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz - $110
    Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3+ Motherboard - $55
    Patriot Extreme 2x2GB DDR3 1333 RAM - $36
    Hitachi 500GB HDD - $40
    ASUS 24x DVD-Writer - $20
    Cooler Master Elite 310 Silver Mid Case - $40
    CoolMax 500W Power Supply - $30

Final Cost: $451 (All parts bought from computer store nearish to where I live)

nice
  2. Yeah, I'll post pictures when I'm done and do a benchmark/score etc.

Does anyone think that I should change any components to increase performance or lower price (both?) or any recomendations or something? Thanks lol just looking for some thoughts/suggestions/tips on this or whatever.
  3. The powersupply is no good man. I'm sorry, but it might explode in your face and take all your parts with it! Next thing should be a quality powersupply from Corsair, XFX, Seasonic or Silverstone.

It's common to skimp on the PSU and one day you'll regret it I'm sure. Otherwise that's a pretty nice build for just $450
  4. Near a micro center? Can you wait a few weeks to hunt for deals that will popup?
  5. Dont go with a 8 series phenom. They lack the L3 cache that distinguishes then from the athlons.
    The 955 BE is only 119$ now on newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808&cm_re=x4_955-_-19-103-808-_-Product
    the 925 is like 100 bucks.

Dont get a cheap PSU like that one.It might fry ur system. Get a lower wattage quality unit like an antec 380w or a seasonic 380w if u can afford it.

Looking OK on everything else I suppose.
  6. gametstr said:

Dont get a cheap PSU like that one.It might fry ur system. Get a lower wattage quality unit like an antec 380w or a seasonic 380w if u can afford it.

I don't think a 380 w power supply is enough for a HD 5830..
  7. AMD Recommends and says requires 500w Power Supply. I wouldn't go any lower, however I will get a higher quality PSU. Thanks gametstr I'll probably swap that.
  8. Definitely not the Cooler Master. Especially the Extreme Power Plus ones have some horror stories. The Corsair unit outputs only about 400w. But it should be enough for this particular build.

Also if u can afford it go with 955BE. It comes with an unlocked multiplier to over clock easily and also a better stock HSF.
  9. That PSU would frighten me. Trust me. That is one area you do -not- want to under-invest in. Then again, if you hate your friend...
  10. steven13344 said:

I dont think this outputs as much as it claims. I 'd find a good review of it before making the purchase.

The corsair CX500 would be a decent choice for this build.
    Also check this out
    http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_442&item_id=036731

Although AMD suggests that u need a 500w unit for a 5830, this particular system barely uses 400w even at peak loads.
  11. If the 955BE isn't too much I'll go with that. I'm deciding between the Corsair CX500 and the Antec VP450. How would I know the Antec one does 450 and not less like the others?
  12. Actually I found this
    http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_443&item_id=021532
    If this deal works for u its ur best choice. All the other PSUs mentioned before are trash compared to this one.

Note : When I was talking about the CPUs I meant US dollars not canadian. Sorry it skipped my mind.
  13. Mail in rebate? Don't like that but whatever I'd rather pay 20 bucks extra than that hassle. I will go with that then cuz budget is 500.
  14. Canadian dollar is stonger than US anyways so if its more US then its less Canadian, whatever.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Systems Product