What dongle for Eyefinity?

wildestseas

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I know this topic has been beaten all to pieces, but there seems to be a lot of differing info floating around and I need some clarity so I don't buy the wrong part:

I just picked up an Asus EAH6850 graphics card so I can do the whole three monitor thing using Eyefinity. I have two existing LCD monitors - both VGA running on DVI adapters. I plan to pick up one more LCD - probably used since I see a lot of them for hardly anything at yardsales. Chances are, it will be another VGA or DVI, and it will probably be either a 17" or 19" - so it won't be any higher resolution than 1280x1024 px.

This of course will be running out of the displayPort while my existing two monitors will use the DVI ports.

For the third monitor, can I use a passive DisplayPort to DVI converter, or do I need to get one of those active, usb-powered dongles? Any recommendations as to which one I should get?

I'm not sure if it matters, but my primary purpose for going with Eyefinity is productivity - although I do play a little ARMA II from time to time.

Thanks for the help!