How much can I overclock my cpu?

whatsup1396

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
So i recently got the cooler hyper 212 plus cooler for my core i7 920, i got it installed fine and my temperatures i think are great. The idle temp stayed the same compared to my stalk cooler (which is about 45 degrees celsius, but when i play games now it only got passed 58 degrees once, which compared to the previous one is a lot better) but im wondering how far do you think i could over clock my cpu? I'm curious to see what you guys think, thanks.

whatsup1396

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
im using the one fan with on the cpu cooler and my case is the antec 900 so it has one massive fan on top, one in the back, and two in the front. it keeps my ambient temperature at 28 degrees celcius

aim for 4ghz--20 x 200mhz with a memory multiplier of 8 if using 1600mhz ram and turbo off--loads of guides on the net--every board and cpu is different in how far they will go so cant give you settings that are guaranteed to work for you--you can also add another cpu fan if needed on the hyper

wont let me edit previous post

aim for 4ghz--20 x 200mhz with a memory multiplier of 8 if using 1600mhz ram and turbo off--loads of guides on the net--every board and cpu is different in how far they will go so cant give you settings that are guaranteed to work for you--you can also add another cpu fan if needed on the hyper

also hyperthreading on will raise the cpu temperature and may limit the top overclock--mine hit 4ghz with hyper threading on--over 4ghz means i have to raise voltages too high for the increase in speed it gives--max i got to was 4.4ghz stable but prefer 4ghz with lower voltage and less fan noise