Sign in with
Your question

Xonar STX..headphone audio is reversed?

Last response: in Components
August 17, 2011 4:24:27 AM

Hi, I just finished my new build and I just noticed that the sound is coming out reversed when I use my headphones. My 5.1 speakers work fine and there doesn't seem to be an option in the Xonar STX panel to reverse the sound. The best I know how at the moment is to just wear my headphones backwards but they're not built to be worn both ways.

I did have to use a PCI-e x16 slot but I don't think that should affect the way sound comes out.

Parts that I am using:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/0edf909675...

Any ideas on how to correct this?
August 17, 2011 11:56:26 AM

Odd...You don't have any enhancement options [Dolby Virtual Headphone or GX mode], right? Test with all of those off until the issue is taken care of.

You could give the Xonar Unified Drivers a try and see if that resolves the issue; It could be a driver problem [though I note my Xense works fine, so probably not]. You should be able to find them easily enough [Google, and I know they are usually hosted over at Guru3d's audio forum]
m
l
August 24, 2011 4:25:56 AM

No enhancement options. Just PCM 44.1 Headphone Output.

I just tried the Unified drivers and it is still reversed... At least I can swap the headphone output but when I do that it reverses it for my speakers as well so I have to go in and change them around again. Any other suggestions?
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2011 12:05:57 PM

Very odd. There might be a reverse stereo option somewhere within windows, but aside from that, I don't knwo what could cause this...

Do other sound devices have this problem, or just the headphones?
m
l
August 24, 2011 1:04:06 PM

just the headphones. i know the headphones are working properly as i have used them in my old system and tested them in a home entertainment system as well.

i guess i will have to use wear them backwards then.. :( 
m
l
August 24, 2011 3:06:30 PM

So only the headphones, but they work fine on another PC?

Wow, thats very strange behavior.

One final question: If you connect to onboard, are the headphones audio still backward?
m
l
August 24, 2011 11:15:42 PM

hrm.. i reinstalled the asus drivers and used 'FP headphone' and tried the front panel. now only the right one works. theres no sound that comes out of the left.

also, i plugged the headphones into the logitech z5500 controller and tested it and it came out reversed. im so confused..
m
l
August 24, 2011 11:17:54 PM

also, when i plugged the headphones onto onboard, it is reversed as well.
m
l
August 25, 2011 2:10:26 AM

well it sounds like you're wearing the headphones backwards or they are wired backwards. If what side the wire is on makes a difference to you then you need to contact Audio Technica and get them rewired. If you dont care then try spinning the earmuff part on the headphone or swapping them left to right if spinning doesn't produce a correct pad to ear alignment.

I had a pair of logitechs somehow get spun on me and it took me a day to figure out why they didn't feel right on my head. LOL. I still blame the kids <grin>
m
l
August 25, 2011 11:59:20 AM

^^ But they apparently work fine on another PC?

I'm sorry man, but this is strange. I was leaning hardware, but if the headphones work fine on another PC...

So to be clear:
1: Only the headphones are affected
2: Other speakers/headphones output properly
3: The headphones are flipped even when put into another audio output device [onboard, ect]
4: They work fine on another PC

I don't have an answer, thats just odd behavior.
m
l
August 26, 2011 12:32:48 AM

Oh I messed that, yes that is really odd behavior.

Well if you have a way to test, on the 3.5mm headphone plug the tip is left channel, the middle is right, and the remainder is ground.
m
l
August 26, 2011 1:21:40 AM

Yup.

1. Whether plugged into onboard or the Xonar or the Z5500 controller, the headphones are reversed.

2. My 5.1 works perfectly fine.

3. Yup.

4. Just plugged it into another laptop and another PC and it works perfectly fine.

I am CONFUSED!
m
l
August 26, 2011 12:39:26 PM

So am I. Sorry to say, I can't even figure out if you should be looking hardware or software side on this one.
m
l
August 31, 2011 3:36:52 AM

Hey, I have a contingency solution, If it was me I would buy a cheap audio extension cable to be use exclusively with headphones and splice it and simply switch swap left and right channel. No destructive mod to original cable.

btw do you mean left and right were swapped or audio is actually played in reverse?
m
l
September 23, 2011 7:14:04 AM

dontknownotsure said:
Hey, I have a contingency solution, If it was me I would buy a cheap audio extension cable to be use exclusively with headphones and splice it and simply switch swap left and right channel. No destructive mod to original cable.

btw do you mean left and right were swapped or audio is actually played in reverse?

i just got the same headphones and im also getting reversed channels... i bought mine from candysave.com.

this is annoying.
m
l
!