Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is GTS450 a worth while upgrade from a GT240

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2011 10:53:54 PM

I still have a Phenom 9950 125w. I think it is the second best phenom1 ever made. If I upgraded my GPU to a GTS450 would I notice a substantial performance increase?
Budget System specs:
GT240 1GB DDR3
Phenom 9950 x4 black (but currently @stock)
Gigabyte GA-MA-785-US2H I think
4x1GB DDR2 1066 in dual from G-SKILL
caviar black 500
Scythe air cooler (a cheep one but works)
hec 585 PSU (cheep & old so?)
Asus DVD RW
Acer 1920x1080 + Dell 1280x1024

WOW that was fun (I pretended you cared about everything)
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2011 12:40:21 AM

GTX 460 768 MB or 1 GB, that's all I'll say.
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 13, 2011 1:19:07 AM

Personally I would want to upgrade the cpu or wait and hold on while saving up. A GTS450 could be a small margin upgrade depending on the game settings and any other bottlenecks in your system. Most 65nm phenom were not the best and often their clocks were to low thus their performance wasn't so great. I suggest that you do indeed upgrade on the bases of higher clocks and lower thermals. Second a gts 450 may not be the best choice. Small margin upgrades have the least result and the least satisfaction.
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 13, 2011 1:27:12 AM

Quote:
Op why are you running two screens different resolutions?

Different monitors for one reason and second sometimes a lower resolution can have benefit in in web/video when it is detail that is wanted regardless of physical screen size. Some of us actually use our systems for more than just games and surfing the net.

Best solution

a c 236 U Graphics card
March 13, 2011 3:17:57 AM

Define substantial.

Yes, you should get better fps, the question is how much.

Run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics card.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
March 13, 2011 7:19:11 PM

geofelt said:
Define substantial.

Yes, you should get better fps, the question is how much.

Run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics card.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

THANK YOU That was a perfect answer!```````````````````````````````~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 13, 2011 7:21:17 PM

reprotected said:
GTX 460 768 MB or 1 GB, that's all I'll say.

I FOUND THAT OUT right after I posted the question. I totally agree with you. Thank you for the educated answer.
!