Sign in with
Your question

New Z77 problesm

Last response: in Memory
May 4, 2012 6:49:36 PM

hey there guys! im new here and i thought this would be a good way to see who can help me. anyways, heres my problem. i just built a new computer except for powersupply, hard drive, and case. i just upgraded my cpu, memory, motherboard, and a cpu cooler. my specs are:

intel core i5 3450
biostar tz77A
cooler master hyper 212 EVO
2x4gb teamgroup xtreme 8gb 1600 dual channel 1.5v(this is memory just incase : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

my first thought was the memory is the problem.. now when i use one memory stick, the computer loads up fine. i tried one of each stick, not both at the same time, and it worked flawlessly.. but as soon as i put in 2 sticks i get a black screen on startup. no post, cant even get into BIOS. any help appreciated. ive made sure i set the voltages for the memory correctly and the timings, but as soon as i add in the second stick the computer turns on, restarts, then just stays a black screen.

More about : z77 problesm

May 4, 2012 7:33:08 PM

Make sure you are putting the stick in the correct slots.

On my Asus P9Z68-V Pro mobo, if I only use 2 sticks, they go into slots B & D, Not A&C, or any other derivative.

So check your mobo manual for DIMM placements.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
May 4, 2012 7:40:03 PM

The RAM either needs to be installed in the RED <or> WHITE DIMM slots.

I looked at your manual and I didn't notice any XMP settings, so you 'might' need to set the RAM's Frequency, CAS Timings & Voltage manually in the BIOS.

Example:
DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2T (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS-CMD) @ 1.50v ; ref TXD38192M1600C9DC-D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DIMM Slots - fully seated and locked-in
CPU: | Empty | 4GB | Empty | 4GB |
<or>
CPU: | 4GB | Empty | 4GB | Empty |

BIOS:
* Use Load Setup Default under the Exit Menu *

DDR3 DRAM Timing Control -> Manual
DDR3 DRAM Multiplier -> 16 ; 16*100MHz = 1600MHz
DDR3 DRAM Command Rate -> 2T
CAS# Latency (tCL) -> 9
Row Precharge Time (tRP) -> 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) -> 9
RAS# Active Time (tRAS) -> 24
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 7:44:40 PM

thanks for the quick reply guys! i did look at the timings and they were all good as well as voltage and speed. im running one stick right now at 1600. i have it in the red slots because the EVO covers the first memory slots. but i took the fan off the EVO and put the sticks in the first two slots and same thing happens. any other ideas? maybe dead ram sticks? i did try 1333 2x4gb sticks from a friend and they worked.. but i couldnt try my sticks in his motherboard cause his only supports 1333.
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:54:14 PM

not the first two... first and third.... or second and fourth. not side by side
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
May 4, 2012 9:16:20 PM

spcy15 said:
... i did try 1333 2x4gb sticks from a friend and they worked.. but i couldnt try my sticks in his motherboard cause his only supports 1333.

IF this works with Stick1 and Stick2 (one @ a time) then try the following settings:
Tests = CPU: | Empty | 4GB (Stick1 then Stick2) | Empty | Empty |

DDR3 DRAM Multiplier -> 13.33 ; 13.33*100MHz = 1333MHz
CAS# Latency (tCL) -> 9
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v

Often the (SPD) information is read incorrectly so I always either set XMP in the BIOS <or> the RAM specs into the BIOS manually.
m
l
May 5, 2012 12:57:51 AM

ebola28 said:
not the first two... first and third.... or second and fourth. not side by side

sorry.. i meant 2nd and 4th.
m
l
May 5, 2012 1:10:29 AM

jaquith said:
IF this works with Stick1 and Stick2 (one @ a time) then try the following settings:
Tests = CPU: | Empty | 4GB (Stick1 then Stick2) | Empty | Empty |

DDR3 DRAM Multiplier -> 13.33 ; 13.33*100MHz = 1333MHz
CAS# Latency (tCL) -> 9
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v

Often the (SPD) information is read incorrectly so I always either set XMP in the BIOS <or> the RAM specs into the BIOS manually.

are you talking about my sticks or my friends? i will not see my friend for a while... so i cant use his sticks. but mine can post at anything as long as there is only one stick of ram... anytime i set it to something and put a second stick in it just goes black.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
May 5, 2012 1:13:51 AM

Boot with (1) stick the enter the BIOS and set the RAM in either or both the ways I posted above, shut down, 'try' BOTH sticks.

Failure, update your BIOS to the latest version.

Failure, RMA the RAM.
m
l
May 5, 2012 1:26:57 AM

jaquith said:
Booth with (1) stick the enter the BIOS and set the RAM in either or both the ways I posted above, shut down, 'try' BOTH sticks.

Failure, update your BIOS to the latest version.

Failure, RMA the RAM.

ill try that! thanks again for your help!
m
l
a b } Memory
May 5, 2012 4:48:53 AM

It might possible your MOBO is faulty
m
l
May 5, 2012 9:47:09 AM

THE UNKNOWN said:
It might possible your MOBO is faulty

im thinking its the memory... cause every settings i do works fine with one stick... but not with two.. others sticks have worked at 1333 before but these wont.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 5, 2012 10:15:42 AM

spcy15 said:
im thinking its the memory... cause every settings i do works fine with one stick... but not with two.. others sticks have worked at 1333 before but these wont.

Have you checked every one sticks in 4 slots one by one
4gb 1solt then same with 2nd so on if all sticks worked fine then imo your ram is ok
m
l
a b } Memory
May 5, 2012 10:22:23 AM

Again make sure you did settings correctly. :) 
m
l
May 5, 2012 10:19:58 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
Have you checked every one sticks in 4 slots one by one
4gb 1solt then same with 2nd so on if all sticks worked fine then imo your ram is ok

i think my motherboard just doesnt like my stick of RAM... its possibly my motherboard... i wanted to do this but didnt have time to swap memory so many times. but ill try it when i get home. i tried the same 2 slots though with each ram stick and it worked... but thanks! ill try that.
m
l
May 5, 2012 10:21:20 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
Again make sure you did settings correctly. :) 

with how many times i did the settings, i know for a fact they are right lol. no matter what i set them to they dont load up with two sticks anyways. i set them to 1333 with 2t and 9-9-9-24 timings and same thing.

EDIT: and the 1.5volt.

SECOND EDIT: this is weird, but on the sticks it says 1.5 volts, and once on the site it says 1.5, but another time on the site it says 1.65. on newegg it says 1.65 as well. should i try 1.65?
m
l
a b } Memory
May 5, 2012 10:34:51 PM

spcy15 said:
i think my motherboard just doesnt like my stick of RAM... its possibly my motherboard... i wanted to do this but didnt have time to swap memory so many times. but ill try it when i get home. i tried the same 2 slots though with each ram stick and it worked... but thanks! ill try that.

Have you tried each stick with every 4solt
Each stick with 1ST SLOT same with 2ND then 3RD N 4TH
[ One @ Time ] and see are you getting problem while checking that with any perticular slot might be possible :) 
m
l
May 5, 2012 10:37:47 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
Have you tried each stick with every 4solt
Each 4GB 1ST SLOT same with 2ND then 3RD N 4TH
[ One @ Time ] and see are you getting problem while checking that with any perticular slot might be possible :) 

well should one stick POST being in any slot? i havent tried that yet, but i will tonight when i get home. im wondering if its voltage now, cause some places are saying 1.5 volts, and others are saying 1.65 volts.. so might try changing to 1.65 and see what happens.. wouldn't hurt it.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 5, 2012 10:43:59 PM

If everthing worked perfectly then i recommend you just make your BIOS default and put stick in color way
Like 1ST SLOT COLOR RED + 3RD COLOR RED
2ND COLOR WHITE + 4TH COLOR WHITE
m
l
May 5, 2012 10:46:19 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
If everthing worked perfectly then i recommend you just make your BIOS default and put stick in color way
Like 1ST SLOT COLOR RED + 3RD COLOR RED
2ND COLOR WHITE + 4TH COLOR WHITE

1st and 3rd are white and 2nd and 4th are red.. and i tried that and it didnt work.. my cpu cooler is blocking the first white slot, so i just use the red slot, but the white slot didnt change anything. ill try one stick at a time when i get home.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 5, 2012 10:49:24 PM

Your MOBO MEMORY SUPPORT says

TEAM GROUP XTREEM DARK DDR3 SERIES 8GB (2 X 4GB) DDR3-1600 DUAL CHANNEL
isn't compatible it might be the reason
m
l
May 6, 2012 12:09:18 AM

Where does it say it's not supported? It's not on the list but I've bought memory that wasn't on the memory support list before.

My friends 1333 is the same ram brand it's just 1333 instead of 1600.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 6, 2012 12:28:02 AM

spcy15 said:
Where does it say it's not supported? It's not on the list but I've bought memory that wasn't on the memory support list before.

My friends 1333 is the same ram brand it's just 1333 instead of 1600.

I mean its might be not compatible as i checked your MOBO MEMORY list
m
l
May 6, 2012 12:33:38 AM

THE UNKNOWN said:
I mean its might be not compatible as i checked your MOBO MEMORY list

yeah.. i know that.. im just not sure. cause that would be weird.. it works with one stick though.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 6, 2012 12:38:58 AM

Try to check your friends RAM in your MOBO if it run up fine then might RAM having trouble or if its not run up then MOBO is faulty :) 
m
l
a b } Memory
May 6, 2012 12:44:20 AM

with 2 sticks
m
l
May 6, 2012 1:33:11 AM

THE UNKNOWN said:
Try to check your friends RAM in your MOBO if it run up fine then might RAM having trouble or if its not run up then MOBO is faulty :) 

my friend has this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

nearly same as mine just 1333. and his works perfectly. thats why i think its either memory needs RMA, Motherboard hates my RAM which is less likely, or voltage is wrong.. thats all i got left.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 6, 2012 1:39:29 AM

If your friends worked fine then its memory go fo RMA
m
l
May 6, 2012 9:02:30 AM

THE UNKNOWN said:
If your friends worked fine then its memory go fo RMA

ok i just tried something.. now im curious... first two slots i put the memory in, a1 and a2 and it works.. not dual channel.. and if i put one memory stick in to any of the B1 or B2 slots the motherboard wont load... yet i know those slots arent defective because i ran my friends 1333. any ideas?
m
l
a b } Memory
May 6, 2012 10:58:07 AM

Imo go for rma of ram cause you have might tried every possible situation
m
l
May 7, 2012 12:06:37 AM

THE UNKNOWN said:
Imo go for rma of ram cause you have might tried every possible situation

thats what im aiming for.. im surprised cause this RAM had really good ratings... thanks for your help! ill come back if the RMA doesnt work.
m
l
May 9, 2012 1:56:37 AM

Hi Guys,
I ll post my problem here, because it is very similar.
I just upgraded with new MB, CPU and RAM and it doesnt boot up at all.
MB is the same as the previous person: BIOSTAR TZ77A
Cpu is: i5-3570K
The ram is: Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB PC15000 DDR3 1866MHz CL9 .
And yep, I know it is not on the memory supported list. In the rush I skipped checking. Still I'm hoping its compatable.

So the problem is the system doesnt want to power on at all. Just the fans move for parts of the second.
I tried (possibly) all combinations. 4 sims inserted, 2, 1. When 2 in the white, in the red, or 2 by 2. Anything.
The mem is 1.5v.

Since the system doesnt boot up at all, and the sound doesnt give any error code, I really dont have much what to do with it.
No bios updates, no playing with voltages.
I really need to know fast which one is the faulty hardware (or incompatable), to see what to do with these parts. Return, buy new, or what ...
Needless to say, its frustrating to spend 700$ on parts that do not work.
Sent an email to Biostar support, but I doubt it they ll give me some precise info.
:) 
m
l
May 9, 2012 5:22:11 AM

Dimi_01 said:
Hi Guys,
And yep, I know it is not on the memory supported list. In the rush I skipped checking. Still I'm hoping its compatable.

So the problem is the system doesnt want to power on at all. Just the fans move for parts of the second.
I tried (possibly) all combinations. 4 sims inserted, 2, 1. When 2 in the white, in the red, or 2 by 2. Anything.
The mem is 1.5v.

Since the system doesnt boot up at all, and the sound doesnt give any error code, I really dont have much what to do with it.
I really need to know fast which one is the faulty hardware (or incompatable), to see what to do with these parts. Return, buy new, or what ...
Sent an email to Biostar support, but I doubt it they ll give me some precise info.

I would highly encourage you to start your own thread to get specific answers, and I'll go into more detailed recommendations if you do (and I see it). That said, you should disconnect everything but CPU and RAM and try booting using one of the onboard video outputs.
m
l
May 9, 2012 5:28:04 AM

spcy15 said:
1. no.. thats true. http://www.teamgroup.com.tw/filterable_product/tabs_det... thats mine.

2.The latest one... theres only two.

Your problem could simply be a RAM compatibility issue. The chips working properly individually in either of the slots but failing when installed in a dual channel configuration has me relatively confident of this diagnosis. To verify this 100% you would need to do two things. First, install one of the sticks then run memtest of Windows Memory Diagnostic. Then switch sticks and test the other one. If both come back clean then you have verified there is nothing wrong with the sticks. Second, take two known good sticks of RAM (ideally with the same voltage/timings but an approved 1600mHZ model) and see if they will boot up in a dual channel configuration. If this works then you need a different model of RAM, and should try to get one that is approved for your MB. If it doesn't work then the motherboard is likely bad.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 9, 2012 6:10:41 AM

Yeah as i said already it might be possible it cause by compitability
m
l
May 9, 2012 9:39:14 PM

Dimi_01 said:
Hi Guys,

The mem is 1.5v.

i had this same problem.. take out your video card and plug into the onboard video. then boot into bios, change IGP too disabled and set the main graphics output to pci-e. then turn off, put video card in and plug into the video card.
m
l
May 9, 2012 9:49:23 PM

Isaiah4110 said:
Your problem could simply be a RAM compatibility issue. The chips working properly individually in either of the slots but failing when installed in a dual channel configuration has me relatively confident of this diagnosis. To verify this 100% you would need to do two things. First, install one of the sticks then run memtest of Windows Memory Diagnostic. Then switch sticks and test the other one. If both come back clean then you have verified there is nothing wrong with the sticks. Second, take two known good sticks of RAM (ideally with the same voltage/timings but an approved 1600mHZ model) and see if they will boot up in a dual channel configuration. If this works then you need a different model of RAM, and should try to get one that is approved for your MB. If it doesn't work then the motherboard is likely bad.

well technically, they dont work in all slots, they dont work in the last 2 slots on my board.. just on the first 2 slots. but my friends RAM at 1333 runs in those slots that dont work with my 1600 RAM, i dont have any more CPU's to test it or memory. none of my friends have 1600 RAM and im not gonna buy 8GB of RAM just to test. id rather just return these for different ones.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:30:11 PM

spcy15 said:
well technically, they dont work in all slots, they dont work in the last 2 slots on my board.. just on the first 2 slots. but my friends RAM at 1333 runs in those slots that dont work with my 1600 RAM, i dont have any more CPU's to test it or memory. none of my friends have 1600 RAM and im not gonna buy 8GB of RAM just to test. id rather just return these for different ones.

Good luck. I hope the replacement sticks work for you. If they don't then my gut tells me you will have to return them and buy a different model, and I recommend picking something from the tested and approved models list.
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:32:50 AM

Isaiah4110 said:
Good luck. I hope the replacement sticks work for you. If they don't then my gut tells me you will have to return them and buy a different model, and I recommend picking something from the tested and approved models list.

i just bought gskill. we shall see if these work. if they do, dont get team xtreem lol.
m
l
May 17, 2012 2:56:43 PM

spcy15 said:
i just bought gskill. we shall see if these work. if they do, dont get team xtreem lol.

There is a chance they will, but I would necessarily say it is an indicator that Team Xtreem makes bad memory. There is a reason these motherboard manufacturers spend so much time testing RAM sticks and compiling lists of supported memory, and it isn't because the RAM manufacturers give them kickbacks.

There are a few G.Skill models listed on your motherboard's "supported memory" list, but none of them are more than 2GB. That could simply mean Biostar never tested any 4GB G.Skill sticks (hopefully this is the case), or it could mean that they tested them and ran into too many compatibility issues to list them. Either way, I hope they work for you.
m
l
May 19, 2012 9:54:13 PM

Isaiah4110 said:
There is a chance they will, but I would necessarily say it is an indicator that Team Xtreem makes bad memory. There is a reason these motherboard manufacturers spend so much time testing RAM sticks and compiling lists of supported memory, and it isn't because the RAM manufacturers give them kickbacks.

There are a few G.Skill models listed on your motherboard's "supported memory" list, but none of them are more than 2GB. That could simply mean Biostar never tested any 4GB G.Skill sticks (hopefully this is the case), or it could mean that they tested them and ran into too many compatibility issues to list them. Either way, I hope they work for you.

just got the g.skill sticks today and they work! now my only problem so far with them is that anytime i try to overclock them, it wont let me... i set the xmp profile yet it wont work. i got these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I tried setting it to 1800 even manually and set the timing to 2133 memory timings and it still doesnt work.. ps i have the voltage at 1.608
m
l
May 21, 2012 8:15:16 PM

spcy15 said:
just got the g.skill sticks today and they work! now my only problem so far with them is that anytime i try to overclock them, it wont let me... i set the xmp profile yet it wont work. i got these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I tried setting it to 1800 even manually and set the timing to 2133 memory timings and it still doesnt work.. ps i have the voltage at 1.608

I'm happy to hear they run for you.

I'm not big on overclocking, so I can't be much help there. Personally I would have just gotten some 1600 sticks and left them at that frequency. That said, I do believe that I have read that Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors are made to run with 1600 MHz RAM. If I remember correctly, your have to actually have an unlocked CPU and overclock it in order to see a faster RAM frequency. Ram that is sold as faster RAM, like the stuff you got, just means that it has been tested and is warrantied to run up to that fast, but you would have to OC your CPU in order to actually get the RAM there.

Again, I'm not an OC expert, so I can't guarantee that for sure. I don't know if anyone else is still following this thread, so for help OCing the RAM you might be best served by making a post on the Memory Overclocking forum. I hope that helps some more.
m
l
May 21, 2012 9:30:46 PM

Isaiah4110 said:
I'm happy to hear they run for you.

I'm not big on overclocking, so I can't be much help there. Personally I would have just gotten some 1600 sticks and left them at that frequency. That said, I do believe that I have read that Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors are made to run with 1600 MHz RAM. If I remember correctly, your have to actually have an unlocked CPU and overclock it in order to see a faster RAM frequency. Ram that is sold as faster RAM, like the stuff you got, just means that it has been tested and is warrantied to run up to that fast, but you would have to OC your CPU in order to actually get the RAM there.

Again, I'm not an OC expert, so I can't guarantee that for sure. I don't know if anyone else is still following this thread, so for help OCing the RAM you might be best served by making a post on the Memory Overclocking forum. I hope that helps some more.

I know that's the way old memory used to overclock.. The new ones just run off of a multiplier.. I don't think that can limit it.. Cause I had that other ram running at 1800 at one point but just with one stick.. I tried just one stick of this RAM and still nothing. It's not overclocking technically.. It's just setting to run at operational timings... And intel supports up to 2600 with ivy bridge and I think either 1333 or 1600 with sandy bridge
m
l
May 21, 2012 11:28:53 PM

spcy15 said:
I know that's the way old memory used to overclock.. The new ones just run off of a multiplier.. I don't think that can limit it.. Cause I had that other ram running at 1800 at one point but just with one stick.. I tried just one stick of this RAM and still nothing. It's not overclocking technically.. It's just setting to run at operational timings... And intel supports up to 2600 with ivy bridge and I think either 1333 or 1600 with sandy bridge

I thought the 3450 has a locked multiplier, meaning you can't OC it?
m
l
May 21, 2012 11:30:31 PM

Isaiah4110 said:
I thought the 3450 has a locked multiplier, meaning you can't OC it?

well i can clock it to 3.9GHz on 2 cores, 3.8 for 3, and 3.7 for 4... but the memory multiplier and cpu multiplier are completely seperate.. you can clock them seperately.. CPU speed doesnt have to match memory fequency.
m
l
May 22, 2012 3:28:31 PM

spcy15 said:
well i can clock it to 3.9GHz on 2 cores, 3.8 for 3, and 3.7 for 4... but the memory multiplier and cpu multiplier are completely seperate.. you can clock them seperately.. CPU speed doesnt have to match memory fequency.

Interesting. Unfortunately this is becoming more obviously beyond my expertise. I would highly recommend opening a new thread on the OC forum I linked below to see if the people who hang around there can help you out.
m
l
!