Sign in with
Your question

Connecting Power Supply to Mother Board.

Last response: in Components
August 17, 2011 7:49:48 AM

Hey guys, I'm building my first rig and I have a small doubt about this issue. Everything in my case is mounted but I have a small doubt on the Power supply to mother board connector. So here's some image I took from google and would like to know if it is the right way to connect the power supply to my mother board.

Alright so my Power supply is a Seasonic X 760 Series and this is how it looks like.

So there is 2 Motherboard plug, am I suppose to plug both of them? or just 1? The cable looks like this :

Is that what I am supposed to do? or does the mother board instruction manual gives the detail? I'm afraid I would fry my PC components by plugging the wrong things :(  Thanks in Advance!
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2011 8:38:00 AM

Yes, both cables are correctly connected to your modular power supply. Both motherboard power connector slots on the power supply say M/B so I think you're good.

As to where to connect them just connect the 24-pin connector to the 24-pin slot, and connect the 8-pin connector to the 8-pin slot (assuming your motherboard has an 8-pin slot, some require a 4-pin). If you are having trouble finding the 8-pin slot, you might want to check your motherboard manual and see if your board has one.
August 17, 2011 8:51:23 AM

Thanks for the replies, I've read the Mother board manual and found this, it says :

" Do not forget to connect the 4-pin/8-pin EATX 12V power supply; otherwise, the system will not boot "

So it means plug them all?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2011 9:23:27 AM

Plug in the 24-pin and the 4/8-pin. You need to find out if your board requires a 4-pin or 8-pin power connection. Your PSU has a 4+4 pin, which means if your board needs a 4-pin then plug in 4, if it needs an 8-pin then plug in the full 8. You can consult the manual to see which one, or you can just look on the board for a 4 or 8 pin slot similar to the 24 pin slot.
August 17, 2011 9:50:27 AM

werner123 said:
If you are using a motherboard with a 20-pin power connector, you wont need to use the smaller connector, but that is irrelevant these days as all motherboards use 24-pin connectors, so yes plug in both. The 4-pin/8-pin EATX 12V power is for supplying power to your cpu.

There is already another 8-pin cable for the CPU power supply :o  , where on the Power supply it says CPU. My current mother board uses a 24-pin connector, and the cable for the motherboard connector looks like the 2nd image on my first post, it seperates into 2 inorder to connect on the power supply, so I'm not sure wether it is right to connect both of them being afraid of frying my components, since the motherboard manual tell me to connect the 4-pin/8-pin EATX 12V power plug I guess I just have to plug them all? :o 
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2011 10:29:58 AM

Now I see what you're talking about. Do plug the PSU side into the M/B or the CPU slot on the PSU? I have never seen that before, so I'm just as confused as you. Maybe you should check the PSU manual (or any literature that came with the PSU). Sorry if I couldn't be more helpful.

If the 8-pin goes into the slot on the PSU marked "CPU" then what is the 8-pin slot marked "M/B" used for?
August 17, 2011 10:43:22 AM

jsanthara said:
Now I see what you're talking about. Do plug the PSU side into the M/B or the CPU slot on the PSU? I have never seen that before, so I'm just as confused as you. Maybe you should check the PSU manual (or any literature that came with the PSU). Sorry if I couldn't be more helpful.

If the 8-pin goes into the slot on the PSU marked "CPU" then what is the 8-pin slot marked "M/B" used for?

Yes Yes! its something like that " what is the 8-pin slot marked "M/B" used for? "
The PSU to mother board connector is a 24pin on the motherboard and a seperated one to the power supply, am I suppose to plug both of them? The second image is only an example of the cable that came along with the power supply and the 1st image is my power supply where theres is 2 M/B, kinda confusing :pfff: 
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2011 10:58:01 AM

Did you check the manual/papers that came with the PSU? Ideally it should indicate what the CPU and M/B are for.
August 17, 2011 11:01:31 AM

I've read the PSU manual but it gives really little instructions, mainly about how to instal and warning safty notes, nothing about connections :/ 
August 17, 2011 11:04:15 AM

werner123 said:
Then you need to use both connectors, you wont fry your board LOL

The 4-pin/8-pin EATX 12V is to give power to your cpu, without it yes your pc will not boot

If you have a 4-pin cpu connector connect using only the one 4-pin plug, if you have an 8-pin cpu power connector on your board connect both 4-pin connectors or just the one single 8-pin connector.

Oooooh!! Alright Thanks alot, thats the answer I'm looking for!
!