Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is there anything I can do to improve my GPU performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2011 5:18:13 AM

Hey guys, a couple of weeks ago I built my first system and I'm pretty happy with it so far. It has the following specs:

Intel i5 760
HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB
8gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz mem (for some reason underclocked at 1333Mhz)
ASUS P7P55D-E LX motherboard
Zalman heatsync
HAF 932 full-tower case

I'm able to run crysis 2 (demo) on Advanced graphics at pretty smooth frame rates (Hardcore mode is decent, not nearly as smooth, but that is to be expected given how Crysis games at the highest settings are made for the best systems), but I started playing RIFT and I notice that with my settings turned up (full anti-aliasing, but not full draw distance, 3/4ths ground clutter radius, 1/2 ground clutter, 5/8 full particle density etc.) I'm getting rates of <30fps. If I get into a big fight, say hello to 17-19 fps. This is running at 1920x1080 btw.

I've done some reading in forums and see people getting much higher frame rates with seemingly lesser hardware, and I'm wondering if there is something I can do to get my comp to run better.

Any suggestions as always are appreciated!
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2011 5:29:26 AM

Other than fixing some obscure problem that I can't identify, you could overclock...
March 13, 2011 5:42:20 AM

well in the bios check for a setting to manual clock the ram upto 1600 mhz, it may have defaulted to 1333, and check that ALL of ur drivers are upto date
Related resources
a c 141 U Graphics card
March 13, 2011 5:47:48 AM

you can use cpu-z to confirm that
March 13, 2011 6:16:34 AM

araas said:
well in the bios check for a setting to manual clock the ram upto 1600 mhz, it may have defaulted to 1333, and check that ALL of ur drivers are upto date

I did check in BIOS and my RAM is indeed running at 1333. How can I check to see all of my BIOS and drivers are up to date? There is probably a simple answer to this but I want to make sure first before I download a bunch of stuff haha.

Best solution

a c 141 U Graphics card
March 13, 2011 7:13:14 AM

for the gpu you can use gpu-z to chech your driver version. then check amd site to look up latest driver available for your card. regarding the BIOS there is no need to update if everything working just fine. updating BIOS can be problematic if you didn't do it correctly
March 13, 2011 7:21:23 AM

renz496 said:
for the gpu you can use gpu-z to chech your driver version. then check amd site to look up latest driver available for your card. regarding the BIOS there is no need to update if everything working just fine. updating BIOS can be problematic if you didn't do it correctly

I just updated my bios using the ASUS update utility so everything checked out fine. Thanks!
March 13, 2011 7:21:36 AM

Best answer selected by whatistaters.
!