Dell xps 8300 PSU replacement

Hi,

My dell XPS 8300 which i ordered online has a 460W PSU which i would like to upgrade. I am thinking about the corsair 650TX but am not sure whether this fill fit in the XPS 8300 chassis.

If it cant, can anyone suggest an alternative.
8 answers Last reply
More about dell 8300 replacement
  1. Hi werner123,

I have heard that DELL uses proprietary PSU's and MB's and if i change the PSU i might end up frying the system. Is this the same case with the XPS 8300?
  2. The xps 8300 is a standard atx case/psu/mobo so atx will fit and work fine. Do you really need 650w?
  3. hi k1114,

my xps 8300 is coming with a radeon 6770..and i'm planning to upgrade it to a 6970..or 6950...so..they need 2 6 pin pci connectors (6970 needs a 8pin and a 6 pin) and 500 W supply...thats why..
  4. Hi werner123,

Are u sure about this...i read somewhere..that even though they use standard ATX ...dell changes some wiring or something...and a lot of people ended up frying their systems..
  5. iec0 said:
    Hi werner123,

Are u sure about this...i read somewhere..that even though they use standard ATX ...dell changes some wiring or something...and a lot of people ended up frying their systems..

That was true , around a dozen years ago, nothing to worry about today.
  6. Only limited by what will fit in the mATX box, and upgrading wouldn't void the warranty.
  7. Did you ever upgrade the PSU ? I am on the same boat (unfortunately) Just got a new XPS 8300 I only upgraded the RAM and another HHD and its already freezing occasionally. And I havent even upgraded the GPU yet but before I do I need a decent PSU any recommendations ? I am looking at Radeon 69xx series and definitely need a better PSU
  8. erodz1892 said:
    Did you ever upgrade the PSU ? I am on the same boat (unfortunately) Just got a new XPS 8300 I only upgraded the RAM and another HHD and its already freezing occasionally. And I havent even upgraded the GPU yet but before I do I need a decent PSU any recommendations ? I am looking at Radeon 69xx series and definitely need a better PSU

no not yet..
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies XPS Dell Studio Xps Corsair Components