HP cq62-215DX dead processor

thepatv

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hello,

I this laptop is only 1 year and 2 weeks old. It was sluggish from the beginning but a couple of nights ago it completely stopped working. When powered on the fan runs but there is no video. The Caps lock blinks. I think it is one blink because it pauses for a few seconds and blinks again. It does this over and over. The trouble shooting manual says that indicates the processor. Turns out this one has a single core processor and I was wondering if I could replace the bad processor with a dual core.

thepatv

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks. I did the hard reset and tried it with each memory stick out to rule out memory. It was an HP tech manual that said it was the processor but I am concerned that it may not be right. I will take your advice and check out the support forums. To be honest, if I can get it working I still think the processor should be upgraded. This is a friends laptop and I was surprised single core was still being sold. I don't think it can handle the load.

thepatv

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
The support forums were no help. My friend tried to get HP to help her out as the laptop was just 2 weeks out of warranty. They refused. Today we ordered a replacement CPU from ebay. It is an upgrade to a dual core. I did much research and am confident it is compatible. I will post again after it arrives and is installed to let people know whether it worked or not.

thepatv

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Quick follow up. The replacement processor did the trick. The HP diagnosis codes were right on the money. The CPU failed. Since it was a single core anyway and could be upgraded to dual, I think it was a good thing.

bawzman115

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I also have the "Compaq Presario CQ62-215DX" and running a single core processor could you tell me what processor upgrade you went with as I'm having trouble finding one that is compatible with this model of laptop.

Thanks in advance.

thepatv

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

It was the AMP320SGR22GM ATHLON II DUAL CORE 2.1GHZ PROCESSOR.