Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help building Great Gaming Machine

Last response: in Systems
May 22, 2011 7:35:55 PM

Hello everyone,

I first have to say dont have a whole lot of knowlege about computer stuff, I dont know anything about overclocking or ram speeds and timing or setting up SLI graphics or any of that tuning stuff. I do know how to build a computer and plug stuff in and have build a few for myself and family members, building a computer is almost like plugging stuff in where it fits. my last computer i built for myself was and Athlon FX-62 (2.8 dual core) with a DFI Lanparty NF4, BFG tech 650w PSU, 4g OCS PLatinum, EVGA 260GTX.

That was a few years ago and i am now starting to see its age among the newer games. I really want to play games like "The Witcher 2" and am preparing for when the King of Multiplayer shootes returns, "Battlefield 3." As of right not im only getting about 15fps with the wither 2 on low settings.

Can some of you suggest a great computer build for me, if at all possible give me the model numbers so i can just punch it in on newegg, or even post the links. I know im asking a bit but i have done tons of research and im overwhelmed, because ive heard that intel processors are more $$ Ive taking an eye to the Phenom IIx6 with 8g ram and i saw a nice EVGA 560ti superclocked at a decent price of $250 on newegg, i'll probably be running windows 7 also. I'd like to here from preople with more tech knowlege than me

I need a cpu, mobo, ram, graphics card and power supply, I'e heard the certain ram only works with certain mobo's and cpu's, and some power supply 12v rails need to work with video card requirements

I really only want to spend at the most $1,000. Thanks for your help in advance.
May 22, 2011 9:14:26 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Tecmo34
m
l

Best solution

May 22, 2011 9:38:30 PM

Intel's CPUs are actually VERY well priced for what you get; the i5-2500K is almost the same price as the Phenom II X6 1100T, but even the i3-2100 (DUAL core) can hold it's own against the X6 in most games. I wouldn't even consider the X6 as an option; Intel's CPUs are too good of a buy to pass up.

The 560Ti is comparable in price to the HD6950 1GB, but the 6950 beats it at 1920x1080 and higher resolutions. If your monitor's resolution is in that range, don't even think about the 560Ti.

This build assumes you already have a copy of W7:

i5-2500K - $224.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock P67 Extreme4 - $159.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3-1600 - $94.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec High Current Gamer 900W PSU - $129.99 (- $20 MIR) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD HD 6950 (various brands) - ~$250 for 1GB model, ~$275 for 2GB model

That brings you to ~$890 with the 2GB model 6950, and a little less for the 1GB model. I would suggest looking into a 64GB SSD for a boot drive as well, since you have the leftover money. It's not a necessity, but since you will have to reinstall your OS it's a very opportune time to add one to your system.
Related resources
May 23, 2011 12:32:32 AM

Ah thank you for that info boiler. I don't have a copy of windows 7 but i will be running my copy of vistax64 for the time being and later switching to windows 7 to take advantage of dx11, i think i saw newegg has windows 7 for like $140.

I'm diggin the 8GB 1600 you got up there. and right now i have a monitor that only has a max res of 1680x1050, ill probably be sticking with this monitor for a while.

How many years do you think i would be able to squeeze out of this setup that you posted running the upcoming games at very high detail settings?
m
l
May 23, 2011 12:59:13 AM

One more question Boiler, this maybe a noob question but the only way to learn is by asking. I noticed that antec Power supply has 4 12v rails, how many am i supposed to connect to the video card, and what brand of video card to you recommend, they list XFX, MSI, Saffire, Asus?
m
l
May 23, 2011 1:23:12 AM

You should easily get 3-4 years out of this computer. The games out today don't really push the i5s to their limits yet, and the 2500K can be easily OCed to 4.5+ GHz. You may have to do a GPU upgrade, but that's not very expensive relative to a rebuild.

I have that 8GB kit in my system and it's running well. I'm glad that I saved money going for a Cas Latency 9 kit instead of an 8 kit like I did with my last build. I don't see any difference in how things run (I do computational math in addition to gaming).

Antec really likes 4 rail PSUs, but it for one video card it doesn't really matter. The PCI-Express power cables should be on the same rail (in pairs). Most of the average video cards will use 2 6pin connectors (or the 6+2pin connectors).

I have the MSI reference 6950 2GB and it works really well. Each brand has good eggs and bad eggs, so I wouldn't really suggest one over the other unless you're looking for specific things like the XFX double lifetime warranty.

Asus' massive cooler is just obnoxious; I'd go with either a reference model or the MSI Twin Frozr II model. The reference cooler works just fine, and isn't ridiculously loud.
m
l
May 24, 2011 11:54:08 PM

Boiler, I just saw this on newegg's memorial sale. This ram is $20 off regular price. it would only cost $75. given the price would you say these are a better choice than the G.Skill Ripjaw, if they are inferior to G.Skill then i'd rather get the better Ram regardless of discount?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 25, 2011 12:43:49 AM

Those will perform just as well; Corsair is pretty reputable when it comes to RAM. The G.Skill RAM is a shell shocker right now and has a lower latency. See if you can't grab that kit
m
l
June 1, 2011 7:10:57 AM

Best answer selected by bobnice.
m
l
!