PSU for high end system

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 17, 2011 4:01:15 PM

I am building a new computer and trying to decide on a PSU. The computer will be used for gaming and graphics/cpu intensive programs, and I'm on a pretty tight budget. I have three PSU's that, on sale, fall within my preferred price range:

1) Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W - $69.99
2) Antec HCG-750 750W - $84.99
3) OCZ ZS Series OCZ-ZS750W 750W - $79.99

I am currently leaning toward the Thermaltake because it is the cheapest and modular. I'm pretty positive that these PSU's are compatible with my system, but if you know something that I don't or have any recommendations for a better PSU in the same price range it would be much appreciated.

System:
- i7 2600k (OC from stock 3.4 to 4.0)
- Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 MoBo
- 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)(16GB total)
- 1x Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
- 2 AMD Radeon 6870 Crossfire X
- 1 24x Lite-on DVD +/-RW

More about : psu high end system

a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2011 5:34:55 PM

Antec hcg is higher efficiency but non modular .and you need for crossfire OCZ ZS750W v2.2 is OK
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2011 6:33:00 PM

Out of the three, go with the Antec.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2011 7:21:44 PM

On a tight budget, cut anything but the PSU! Like Bipedal, I recommend the Antec.
m
l
August 17, 2011 7:29:34 PM

henydiah said:
Antec hcg is higher efficiency but non modular .and you need for crossfire OCZ ZS750W v2.2 is OK

All 3 should work for Crossfire X because the all have at least 4 PCIe connectors. Also, the Antec only provides 40A over the 4 12V rails, The Thermaltake has only 1 12V rail, but it supplies 56A. Would that not make the Thermaltake the better choice overall especially since its sale price is lower and it's modular? Does the GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 MoBo even support multiple 12V rails? Sorry for being such a pester, but I don't know much about PSU's.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2011 8:43:41 PM

BME554 said:
All 3 should work for Crossfire X because the all have at least 4 PCIe connectors. Also, the Antec only provides 40A over the 4 12V rails, The Thermaltake has only 1 12V rail, but it supplies 56A. Would that not make the Thermaltake the better choice overall especially since its sale price is lower and it's modular? Does the GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 MoBo even support multiple 12V rails? Sorry for being such a pester, but I don't know much about PSU's.

The motherboard doesn't care how many rails the PSU has.
As for the Thermaltake PSU, it is not that highly regarded as a quality PSU. Sometimes what they say they supply and what they actually supply are two different things.
m
l
August 17, 2011 9:25:22 PM

clarkjd said:
The motherboard doesn't care how many rails the PSU has.
As for the Thermaltake PSU, it is not that highly regarded as a quality PSU. Sometimes what they say they supply and what they actually supply are two different things.

Then

1) Can you explain to me/provide a link explaining the difference between having multiple rails (i.e. are there physically 4 cables on the Antec and 1 on the Thermaltake?)
2) If I buy the Antec and only use one rail, can my system pull more than 40A out of one rail/does it need to?
3) Also overshooting the Antec to 46-48A on one rail and undershooting the Thermaltake to 50-52A (because it's "not as good quality") provides ~564W and ~612W respectively. Why are these not near the advertised 750W, and wouldn't thermaltake still be the better choice (they both have a 5 year warranty)? (do you have a brand comparison chart that lists the most reputable PSU brands?)

Sorry if these questions are simple. I'm very new to the world of PSU's, but understand that this is one part I don't want to skip out on.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2011 12:39:31 PM

I suggest that you go to
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284314-28-power-suppl...
there are some great tutorials there.
Then, you might check out
http://www.jonnyguru.com/
and do some reading of the reviews. I think most of your questions will be answered by those two sites.
August 18, 2011 4:31:13 PM

Scoured the web and found some great articles that really explained everything well. Thanks every one for all your help
m
l
August 18, 2011 4:32:48 PM

Best answer selected by BME554.
m
l
!