Delay when booting

drevin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Hi,

My PC has a strange issue. It sometimes activates a couple of seconds AFTER turning it on. Nothing happens when I turn it on, even fans don't start spinning until after the short delay. This does not always happen, just sometimes, and it is not a serious issue. I'd just like to know what could be causing it, and whether it could be a warning sign of something more serious.

One time when the computer was frozen and I had to press RESET, it turned off then started after a couple of seconds. On top of that, the BIOS settings were reset to their defaults. I'm guessing these issues could be caused by the motherboard or power supply? If it were just some delay setting, the delay should appear EVERY time, not just every now and then.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
MB: Asus P5Q Pro
RAM: 4 Gb DDR2
GPU: Asus GTX 260
PSU: Corsair HX650

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Beg, borrow, or steal (just kidding) another PSU. Because, as you surmised, it could be either the board or PSU. Testing the system with a known good PSU would be the quickest way to determine.

drevin

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
UPDATE: While I was playing a graphics-intensive game, the screen suddenly went all blank, and even blind typing commands didn't work. After a reset, the delay appeared, and BIOS settings were once again reset. Maybe the freeze itself could have something to do with this problem? Although the game does cause a big rise in temperatures, I doubt that the GPU overheated since I didn't hear its fan spin up to faster speed (what it usually does when too hot).

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
IMO Its because of psu that causing trouble to your rig n do somthing before its to late rma it or try to check it with your friends pc to make sure is psu bad or not :)