Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlbeatty

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I am considering replacing an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU with an AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ CPU. It is in a Dell Optipex 740 desk top with standard heat sink and no CPU fan. I have three concerns. CPU power consumption and cooling and will I have to reinstall the operating system? I would like to do this without having to install a CPU fan. The computer will be used for mostly web browsing and playing facebook games. It is for my mothers computer and we would like to do it in the most cost effective way. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Solution
The Dell OptiPlex 740 uses a BTX motherboard. The CPU is at the front and the 80mm fan pushes enough air through the heat sink to cool it. You'll have to install a CPU fan or find an alternate way to push enough air to keep the heat sink cool.

Since you're not replacing the motherboard, you won't have to reinstall the OS.
The Dell OptiPlex 740 uses a BTX motherboard. The CPU is at the front and the 80mm fan pushes enough air through the heat sink to cool it. You'll have to install a CPU fan or find an alternate way to push enough air to keep the heat sink cool.

Since you're not replacing the motherboard, you won't have to reinstall the OS.

Solution

Rlbeatty

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Is it absolutely necessary to install an additional cooling fan? Since I have submitted this question I have done more research and have learned that all Dell Optiplex 740's appear to have the same configuration regardless of CPU type or size. I have already purchased a 64x2 4200+ from Ebay with no CPU fan.

Rlbeatty

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Thanks allot for your response to my questions. My only other concerns is power consumption. The Optiplex 740 has a stock 280 watt power supply. I intend to run this with 3 GB ram. Will this power supply be sufficient?

Rlbeatty

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

I think you have answered all my questions. Thank you. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Rlbeatty

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Hi,
I'm back. Upon further investigation I have revealed that the AMD has both the AM2 and 939 sockets for the processors I have asking about. I assumed I had a 939 pin processor. I believe I am incorrect. I have not physically viewed the processor or computer yet. I bought them both on ebay. I am just trying to be prepared for once they arrive. I noticed that the 64x2 processor is an AM2 socket. The computer with the Athlon 64 did not state whether in was AM2 or 939 socket. I do know the computer has DDR2 ram and I believe this is not compatible with the 939 socket. So the computer must also be a AM2 socket. Is my assumption correct?

Rlbeatty

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

I looked into the Optiplex 740 tech specs and it listed 940 pin for the processor for all three computers, so I feel I'm on the right track. I guess since I have already bought the processor at the most I will have to return it for a replacement. I will verify the part numbers when I actually attempt to upgrade the processor. Again thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.