Size-stripped game performs badly? Why?

Decided to fire up the ol' Flash2Advance recently, since for
whatever reason, VisualBoyAdvance absolutely refuses to play the
game "Famicom Mini - Mario Bros". (I get "cartridge error" in
Japanese.)

Well, things aren't going all that smoothly on the flash cart
front, either. Size stripping this particular game reduces its
size by an astonishing 75%. It would be nice indeed if I could
use that version of the game, but unfortunately, whenever I
actually play the thing, there is something curiously wrong with
the controls. It's like it's only accepting input maybe one tiny
moment per couple of seconds. So I get to watch Mario take a
one-pixel step every second or two, and that's after the dubious
prospect of even starting a game.

The non-size-stripped version of the game seems to run just fine.

Now, up until this point, I had been led to believe that size-
stripping games was a completely transparent process, in that
the result would be a game that was still 100% playable, but
with a reduced size. This the first time I have encountered an
apparent contradiction to that supposition.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I'd really rather
not sacrifice a quarter of my whole cartridge for just Mario
Bros when size stripping would reduce the loss to one sixteenth.

Before anyone chimes in with "use PocketNES", well let me just
say that you should try Mario Bros with PocketNES before you
make such a recommendation. The audio side of emulation in that
app has never exactly been spot-on, and in the case of Mario
Bros, there are moments when the output is simply unlistenable.
It is a pity that development of that app has gone on for ages,
and even when Nesticle (circa late 90s?) got audio 100% correct,
PocketNES in 2004 still gets it wrong.

On 17 Jul 2004 21:40:23 -0700, retsa2@hotmail.com (Marc Brown) wrote:

>Decided to fire up the ol' Flash2Advance recently, since for
>whatever reason, VisualBoyAdvance absolutely refuses to play the
>game "Famicom Mini - Mario Bros". (I get "cartridge error" in
>Japanese.)

Does the original cartridge work, or is this a pikey copy?

--
"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator,
but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh."