Sign in with
Your question

pc won't boot no beep no lights no display

Last response: in Motherboards
May 5, 2012 6:19:36 AM

Hello,
my pc won't boot whenever i try to turn on my pc nothing happens no lights , no beep sounds , no hd light only one yellow light is glowing on motherboard , from 4-5 days my pc was causing problem , whenever i started my pc it would run for 2-3 minutes and gets off by itself but sometimes it would run for 4-5 hours without getting off and my cmos battery was also faulty at starting it says ' press f1 to go to setup and f2 to load default values ' but i don't think it has something to do with it so please help me guys

my pc specs
Intel core 2 duo E7500 @ 2.93ghz
mobo- asus p5kpl am in
ram - 2gb
hdd - 320 gb

a c 478 V Motherboard
May 5, 2012 6:38:22 AM

any local computer store or radio shack will have a replacment cmos battery there a standard part. with the no power is more likly that the computers power supply failed. if you have a spare or know someone that has one you can use for testing that help you pinpoint what failed on your computer. the other issue it could have been dusk or a fan failure and you overheated the cpu and cooked it.
m
l
May 5, 2012 6:43:54 AM

Well, you can try getting out parts and see if it makes a difference.

First, take out the video card if you have one, and use the integrated one on the motherboard.

Then the memory, one by one. See if you get any beep if there's no memory at all.

If you can test your hdd in another machine, that's a good thing too, but it's not likely it would cause this.

Can you smell anything around the computer? Any smoky smell from the PSU? Try another PSU if you can.
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2012 12:57:59 PM

No it doesn't smell like i had fried anything , i even checked it by removing everythin one by one like ram , hdd dvd writer but nothing happens , no lights , no beeps and no display just a light glowing on the motherboard .
m
l
May 5, 2012 2:01:26 PM

Replace the PSU (power supply unit). It is shorting out and not powering the system proper. You can get a PSU tester rather cheap... One other possible scenario is the PSU isn't making proper contact with the MoBo. Check to make sure all connections are connected.
m
l
May 5, 2012 2:04:01 PM

Oh, any place that sells watch batteries should carry your CMOS Battery. Places like Wal*Mart, CVS, Walgreen's, etc... I avoid Radio Shack, they are over priced...
m
l
May 6, 2012 4:19:11 AM

Thanks for your help i have decided to change my psu but can you help me one more time i was thinking of buying a xfx ati radeon hd 5770 card so please suggest me a good psu that can handle that card and will work fine in the future not like this iball crap and will my asus p5kpl am in will be able to handle 5770 , thanks in advance .
m
l
!