Computer freezes randomly help!

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Ok, so whenever I play black ops, open plants vs zombies, watch youtube my computer freezes randomly.. idk why, I hav updated my graphics card's driver, updated flash player, even java! I looked for many solutions online like checking cables, heat issues, updates(but I'm not sure if my bios is updated) even in changing resolutions, my computer can handle 1280x1024 on black ops but anythin higher makes my comp freeze.. I switched my ram sticks and have yet to encounter a freeze.. here are my pc specs:

Windows 7 64-bit OEM
Intel core i7 quad 950 @ 3.06ghz
8gb corsair vengeance (2x4gb @ 1066mhz)
WD 1tb black caviar HD
Evga gtx 560ti SC DS 1gb
Evga x58 sli3 motherboard
Raidmax 630watt psu

I didn't overclock anything, I cleaned my registry with CCCleaner, I have an 80mm front and 120mm bottom intake, 250mm on the side and 2 120mm rear and top exhaust fans..
Please help me guys, I don't want to ruin my new baby... I really appreciate it...

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
hmmm did this issue not use to happen before?

and instead updateing driver try re-downloading new ones and uninstall driver you have and reinstall if that don't work have you try the GPU on different computer?

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
mm not yet, ill try uninstall and re-install updated graphics drivers and if it doesnt do it ill test it on my diff comp... but yeah it happened before on my gtx 250.. maybe its my memory? cuz i already switched it between my 2 slots and it still happened... or it could be my motherboard needing a bios update..

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
yeah what your looking for is the bad part of hardware and by doing this you have do this called Elmination well thats what i call it when i am fixing comps so now first thing u got try a fresh full install of latest drivers make and CCleaner picks up that its GTX 560ti?

and if that does not fix the issue then swap it in a diffrent computer tho make sure its got enough power to run it pretty much any 450w+ will run it so check if it works run the same game if it still does it then it could be only 2 things GPU is a dud or both PSU can't do it

it could need a bios update but il be honest with you as a techy this so called BIOS updates don't really fix issues like that but the motherboard ye that could be stuffed or the RAM slots or maybe some of you ram is bad but if it works fine and great on other PC or just better overall then its something do with the computer

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
hmmm not sure if its my vid card though because it also happend on my gtx 250... right now i booted with 1 ram stick each, and ran various programs to see if it still froze... first try with 1st stick, opened skype, did a video chat and opened youtube..unfortunately it froze.. 2nd try with 2nd stick, opened skype, youtube, plants vs zombies... so far nothing happened... now ill try to run black ops in different resolutions as per my 1st post about this problem... i appreciate all the help guys :) ill get back asap

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
ok, just tested my 2nd ram stick... ran black ops from 1280x1024 to 1360x1024 then finally 1680x1024.. it didnt freeze :) now, before i conclude that my 1st ram stick is bad... ill try running black ops and change resolutions again but this time with my 1st ram stick...

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
ok sweet its RAM nice soo you know got something do with RAM so that awsome so yeh it seem 1 stick gone bad so need go buy more RAM i suggest Corsair RAM and G skills and Mushkin RAM make sure its for ur system liek DDR2 DDr3 Duel chan or trip and same MHZ

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
wow, im sorry bro... but 1st ram stick as also OK... ran black ops on different resolutions and it was fine... right now im doing memtest on each ram to see if there really is wrong with either one of them... if it goes well ill follow your advice bowzef, the elimination method :)

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
also... my mobo temp display for the CPU is reading 50degrees on idle :/ however on the EVGA E-leet utility that also reads CPU temps, it shows 60degrees!!!(66,60,63,60)
wtf! the side of my case isnt hot though and my northbridge is really warm(not hot)

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
i may need to get a new CPU cooler dude, cuz the story with my CPU is this, when i first assembled it, i was reading temps up to 40-60 degrees on load... but the side of my case where the backplate of the mobo is was hot...(and thats where the comp freezing began) so i replaced the thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5... spread it around the CPU evenly and really mounted the stock fan in place... and now im reading 60 on idle, 70 on load under Evga E-Leet utility.. however, the side of my case isnt hot anymore.. its juuust a little warm... so basically,
before: temps from 40-60= backplate was hot(freezing randomly)
now:temps from 60-70= backplate is warm(still freezing randomly)
i did a memtest too, first Ram stick is fine under 307% testing..ill test the 2nd stick later... if its all fine... i think its either my MOBO is bad or my PSU isnt giving enough power...

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
well, i did a bios update and didnt have a freeze for 1 day... ran black ops on 1600x1050, ran skype and youtube afterwards... however facebook was damn slow.. but everything else was spiffy.. hopefully i dont get a freeze again cuz its either my Mobo need to be RMA's or my PSU is bad...