Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$5000 budget PC

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2011 6:39:03 AM

Before I go into it, $5000 is the budget I've been given and it doesn't have to be all used. I'm new to the site, generally come here for my answers but never posted previously, so sorry if this is the wrong area! And this will be strictly for games and university work.

Also I'd like to go into my history, I've never had a PC that is anywhere near -good- enough for games, I've always lagged in games such as World of Warcraft on LOWEST settings and I no longer want to suffer that fate. I live in Australia and therefor cannot buy from newegg, although I'd seriously like help and opinions. I'm not very smart and actually seriously thinking about getting an alienware over priced computer, but even then, I still lack the knowledge! Yet again, thanks!

Approximate Purchase Date: A month.

Budget Range: $5000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming MAINLY! although I do like it for movies and video watching.

Parts Not Required: Everything needed.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com doesn't ship internationally, but I'll most likely use a nearby store like www.msy.com.au

Country of Origin: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick)

Parts Preferences: I don't really have a preference, although, I want opinions on a big screen vs multi screens, I've seen three screens on one desk and it looks amazingly cool e___e

Overclocking: Maybe, I don't know how to do it ... but if I get a system that could possibly over clock, I just may, but otherwise, not really.

SLI or Crossfire: No clue ... e___e /fail.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 preferably, It's the only screen I've ever used.

Additional Comments: quiet PC is a must, I've had many PCs that make really, really bad noises, weither it's loud or just sounds like a very, very old train that's coming off the rails ... I no longer want noise, I understand some PCs make some noise when forced under heavy duress, but I don't want to only hear it!

I'd like to say thanks for taking the time to read/help, and ... yet again, sorry if I'm clueless! forgive me >_<

More about : 5000 budget

Best solution

May 23, 2011 7:54:15 AM

MSY is a fine choice, but they may not cary all the parts you need. I'm going to give all the links I have for Australia:
Australia
MSY
Techbuy good selection?
PC Case Gear
Mwave Australia
Umart
Scorpion Technology
IT Estate

We most certainly will NOT use up the full amount, and don't let anyone tell you differently. We might find some ways to spend a good chunk, but that's going to depend on a few things.

1. How mechanical are you? Would you feel comfortable investing the time and work that a water cooled rig requires? This adds to the cost also. It's a great way to have a very quiet system, but adds to the bulk and weight also. There are a few options that reduce the complexity and hassle, but it's up to you.

2. What type of case do you like? Flashy? Utilitarian? Classy?

3. What kinds of games do you like to play?
May 23, 2011 8:02:40 AM

Proximon said:
MSY is a fine choice, but they may not cary all the parts you need. I'm going to give all the links I have for Australia:
Australia
MSY
Techbuy good selection?
PC Case Gear
Mwave Australia
Umart
Scorpion Technology
IT Estate

We most certainly will NOT use up the full amount, and don't let anyone tell you differently. We might find some ways to spend a good chunk, but that's going to depend on a few things.

1. How mechanical are you? Would you feel comfortable investing the time and work that a water cooled rig requires? This adds to the cost also. It's a great way to have a very quiet system, but adds to the bulk and weight also. There are a few options that reduce the complexity and hassle, but it's up to you.

2. What type of case do you like? Flashy? Utilitarian? Classy?

3. What kinds of games do you like to play?

1. If given a guide I could try, but I would say I'm not confident!

2. Erm, I wouldn't know how to answer that, so I'll show you something I looked and found something that I would certainly like ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Heroes of Newerth currently,
I will want to play, Star Wars - The Old Republic and would want to max the game play on that.
Also any game I can throw at it to be honest!
I've never had a good PC to play the high end graphic games, so I stay away from them. But I don't want that to be the case with this computer.

And do note, that 5,000 dollars was for pretty much everything, including the screen(s), speakers(Logitech Z5500) and the other stuff, mouse, head phones, keyboard, ect.

Also I've seen people use two screens for different things, if you can explain that to me I'd be grateful, I play a lot of MMO's where I grind senseless and having a secondary screen for, say music videos/movies or just television shows would be very valuable.
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2011 8:55:39 AM

OK!

Let's skip the water cooling. We can do fairly well with quiet fans.

I dislike doors on computers. They almost always are left open and so are pointless. The NZXT Phantom is a fine choice other than that. How about a nice sleek Silverstone Raven? Higher quality, Silverstone is a great company for support.

Let me put up a full list from newegg, as it's very easy for me to do, and then you let me know if you can't get parts or something seems overpriced:

• SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW Matte black 0.8mm Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1502FAEX 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • 2x Acer V243HAJbd Black 24" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor
    Two monitors, one for work one for play. The more screen you have the more screen you have to scan.... not so fun in PvP :)  or any MMO where you have many HUD objects to scan. Having a second monitor for that dungeon walkthru or that spreadsheet is nice.
  • 2x PowerColor AX6950 2GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ...
    Two of these is all you need.
  • CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
  • ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full
  • SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM
  • OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    TOTAL: $2,569.87

One thing I forgot:
    CPU cooler
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 9:02:59 AM

Proximon said:
    OK!

Let's skip the water cooling. We can do fairly well with quiet fans.

I dislike doors on computers. They almost always are left open and so are pointless. The NZXT Phantom is a fine choice other than that. How about a nice sleek Silverstone Raven? Higher quality, Silverstone is a great company for support.

Let me put up a full list from newegg, as it's very easy for me to do, and then you let me know if you can't get parts or something seems overpriced:

• SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW Matte black 0.8mm Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1502FAEX 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • 2x Acer V243HAJbd Black 24" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor
    Two monitors, one for work one for play. The more screen you have the more screen you have to scan.... not so fun in PvP :)  or any MMO where you have many HUD objects to scan. Having a second monitor for that dungeon walkthru or that spreadsheet is nice.
  • 2x PowerColor AX6950 2GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ...
    Two of these is all you need.
  • CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
  • ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full
  • SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM
  • OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    TOTAL: $2,569.87

One thing I forgot:
    CPU cooler

• Cheaper than I would have imagined!
    I wondered if two graphics card where superior than one, but I never found a complete answer without people saying this and that.
    Also I hear SSD's are very unreliable, that they don't last that long without having issues.
    Also i7-2600K sounds like the bench mark so I figured that much!

Is PC building hard - and is over clocking -worth- it?
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 10:10:13 AM

People like to complain more than they like to rave. If there was a real issue it would have been reported here or at Anandtech. If you are really worried about it the most reliable SSDs are Intel. Not as fast though. I use an Intel 320 160GB.

Here is a reference for you on GPUs
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-...

PC building may seem a bit difficult the first time, but if you are patient and careful you'll succeed. You can find a complete guide to building in the master sticky thread at the top of the systems forum.

A moderate overclock is just letting your CPU perform where it wants to. The i7-2600K is really underclocked so that when it's put into a suffocating case with a poor CPU and motherboard it can still survive. Or if you like, think of it as adjusting your CPU so that it performs most efficiently in it's given environment.
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 10:17:26 AM

Proximon said:
    People like to complain more than they like to rave. If there was a real issue it would have been reported here or at Anandtech. If you are really worried about it the most reliable SSDs are Intel. Not as fast though. I use an Intel 320 160GB.

Here is a reference for you on GPUs
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-...

PC building may seem a bit difficult the first time, but if you are patient and careful you'll succeed. You can find a complete guide to building in the master sticky thread at the top of the systems forum.

A moderate overclock is just letting your CPU perform where it wants to. The i7-2600K is really underclocked so that when it's put into a suffocating case with a poor CPU and motherboard it can still survive. Or if you like, think of it as adjusting your CPU so that it performs most efficiently in it's given environment.

Interesting! always wanted one but was rather worried about the negative opinions about them.

I'm not patient and I'm not really careful, so it sounds like a hard task for me, lol.

But I saw a picture of 3 screens on a table, all with the same screen and It's something I want for my desk! But like I said earlier, I'm not certain how it works. Guess I need to work on my I.T knowledge! >.<;
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 1:38:28 PM

Well the 3 screens on one desk can work in various ways, from what Ive seen with 2 screens id imagine its the same but just one more lol. Well you can have it so its like a extended screen where say u have Firefox open on one screen and WoW on the other, or you can have them be like mirrors of each other, the other option Ive seen is making what you see on one screen stretch to all 3, its pretty awesome.
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 1:58:28 PM

I think that first build looks pretty good, a few things i would consider though:

GTX 570 SLI
    Antec 1200
    i5-2500k
    WD Velociraptor 600GB
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 2:32:30 PM

I'd skip the i7 and go with an i5, since hyperthreading is a moot point when gaming.

There are some issues with specific SSDs due to their controllers (like the Crucial C300), but the new Intel 510 and OCZ Vertex/Agility 3 use the newest Sandforce controllers, which are currently the best out there.

If you can get Samsung F3s instead of the WD Black for a lower price, get them. They're faster than the WD Blacks and are just as reliable.

As for cases, find some options that look good to you and bring back more questions. I have the Raven RV02 that Proximon linked and I find it very efficient in terms of cooling. There are some things that make me skeptical, such as its odd PSU mounting, but it hasn't given me any problems over the last year. I'd try to get the RV03 that just came out if you can; the redesign and new fans look good.

Another good series of cases is the Cooler Master HAF x and HAF 932. They cool really well and have some good features as well.

The 6950 is an awesome card, and I love the native 3 monitor support (I use 3 for work and 1 for play ;) ).
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 10:08:49 PM

theone1223 - Thanks for explaining it further! although sounds a bit tricker than I thought e___e

jmsellars1 - Interesting, although do note that this PC is also going to be used for other things, so I'd rather the i7 security blanket for the extra speed. If money isn't an object I'll stick with the i7!
    GTX 570 SLI, single graphics card huh? always figured it was inferior to dual graphic cards.

boiler1990 - 6950x2 work well together?
    Will look around with the case, although to explain again, I'd much prefer an i7, I have heard great things from the 2600K
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 10:55:11 PM

^Good point. I always forget it's not understood.

2x6950s would work great (still overkill for 1920x1080, but will most likely be good for 3-4 years). Make sure to get the 2GB models. Most of the reference 2GB models can be unlocked to a 6970, so you may get about 25% more performance per card if you can unlock them.

For what you're using it for, you won't get much of anything better from the 2600K than you'll get with the 2500K. Intel's Hyperthreading (most significant difference between the two) doesn't help/hurt in games at all, so you'd essentially be wasting $100 for no reason at all.
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 10:59:34 PM

boiler1990 said:
    ^Good point. I always forget it's not understood.

2x6950s would work great (still overkill for 1920x1080, but will most likely be good for 3-4 years). Make sure to get the 2GB models. Most of the reference 2GB models can be unlocked to a 6970, so you may get about 25% more performance per card if you can unlock them.

For what you're using it for, you won't get much of anything better from the 2600K than you'll get with the 2500K. Intel's Hyperthreading (most significant difference between the two) doesn't help/hurt in games at all, so you'd essentially be wasting $100 for no reason at all.

Ah, very interesting ...
    Looked at your list and want screens more like this picture I found

m
    l
    May 23, 2011 11:02:34 PM

No you only need one of those active cables. You use 2x dvi cables and plug them into the two dvi plugs in the back of the first card just as you would on a normal 2 screen setup. To use the third screen you use the active dp to dvi cable on the first card, and then connect as usual with a dvi cable to the monitor.

You cannot use the two "spare" dvi ports on the second card when crossfiring. Yes it's stupid but that's the way it is right now.
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 11:04:37 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
    No you only need one of those active cables. You use 2x dvi cables and plug them into the two dvi plugs in the back of the first card just as you would on a normal 2 screen setup. To use the third screen you use the active dp to dvi cable on the first card, and then connect as usual with a dvi cable to the monitor.

You cannot use the two "spare" dvi ports on the second card when crossfiring. Yes it's stupid but that's the way it is right now.

Oh... Well thanks, will definitely need a guide!
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 11:18:47 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
    Speaking of monitors: personally if I had this cash to throw around, I would buy 3x http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c... You can flip the monitor by 90 degrees giving you 3 portrait screens.

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u127998/monitorsintro_0.jpg

Picture taken from maximumpc article: Multiscreen Madness: We Test Four Incredible Display Setups written by Amber Bouman, Katherine Stevenson and Loyd Case
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/multiscreen_m...

Wow ... beautiful, I suffer from extreme anxiety, if put onto the tilt function it obviously has, will the bottom be able to account for the weight?

I have a 50" television in my room - crazy I know right?
    And I had a desk that was slowly bending in the middle, yes, I've replaced it with something sturdy, but even the lightest things set my anxiety chip off.
    Also is the screen quality good? e___e -sorry for dumb questions-
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 11:33:07 PM

Well what's good? Some don't want anything but IPS panels, and this is TN. TN has it's flaws but is a lot cheaper. I'm colorblind anyway so I couldn't care less about color accuracy as my interpreted perception of color is quite different from the norm.

If you want good color accuracy, the Dell UltraSharp are amongst the best. But then again they are $500 each.
    m
    l
    May 23, 2011 11:37:53 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
    Well what's good? Some don't want anything but IPS panels, and this is TN. TN has it's flaws but is a lot cheaper. I'm colorblind anyway so I couldn't care less about color accuracy as my interpreted perception of color is quite different from the norm.

If you want good color accuracy, the Dell UltraSharp are amongst the best. But then again they are $500 each.

I'm color blind to green, it's grey to me but that's about it.

I suffer from what some would say is an illness, but unique designs set my senses off and I start to think more deeply in the matters of the things around me, so something like 3 of those professional dell screens would be good, although 3 screens vs one ... pricing could be nasty.
    m
    l
    May 24, 2011 1:56:32 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
    Speaking of monitors: personally if I had this cash to throw around, I would buy 3x http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c... You can flip the monitor by 90 degrees giving you 3 portrait screens.

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u127998/monitorsintro_0.jpg

Picture taken from maximumpc article: Multiscreen Madness: We Test Four Incredible Display Setups written by Amber Bouman, Katherine Stevenson and Loyd Case
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/multiscreen_m...

That's the monitor that I have...its awesome!
    m
    l
    May 24, 2011 4:58:08 AM

boiler1990 said:
    That's the monitor that I have...its awesome!

Amazing, also I have a question, obviously I want a massive drive for storage - movies/pictures/videos ect, but what would you recommend for a massive portable hard drive? that can be emergency back up if all else fails, like I said, I have anxiety and this would be a massive thing for me.

While I'm asking questions, is there any Australian attuned companies that you would recommend buying the Dell P2411H 24inch LED Professional HD Monitor?

And would it be not worth the money to get three, or just get a massive one? Price wise.
    m
    l
    May 24, 2011 9:51:26 AM

I'd say go for one 1920x1080 monitor; you won't always game with 3 monitors, and you'd be stuck at a lower resolution. I use my 3 E2011H (20") for work, since I can have Word, Excel, and PDFs open at the same time. I don't know where you'd get it, but I purchased mine directly from Dell in US.

You can use another internal hard drive for a backup as well, and it would be cheaper. You could do a RAID 1 setup to have the second hard drive mirror the first, or you could simply just do backups every so often. I use a 1 TB for storage and a 500GB to backup my OS from my SSD.

If you want portable storage, just get a big desktop external from WD or the like. Just pass on Seagate, since they've been really bad the last few years.
    m
    l
    June 10, 2011 8:38:31 AM

Best answer selected by Trixi.
    m
    l
    !