Sign in with
Your question

What 6970 should I get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2011 4:40:53 PM

'm going to be upgrading soon from my ATI 4800 card to a 6970. Sadly, after like 3 years, my 4800 is dated now and i need to upgrade. I want to buy this 6970 since its futurproof, DX11, more frames, and will not fail me for the next 2-3 years. Hopefully more.

So here are the cards i'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I'm just stuck on qhich 6970 to get. I want to get that expensive ASUS one because it's cool, but I mean, I feel like considering I have an Antec 900 case which has amazing air flow, I don't need it. But I mean, I've heard otherwise so idk.

Keep in mind I have a 400 dollar budget. I intend to buy a new hard drive because that is starting to fail (my fault for getting samsung i suppose). What is the OVERALL (in terms of price, warranty etc.) 6970 i should get? And please dont give me that "unlock a 6950" stuff cuz it involves OCing which i hate to do. I either by pre-OCed or stock. Thx

-----------------------------------------------------------

I put the question on yahoo answers, but tomshardware is probably a better place to get answers. Also, can you guys advise the best possible harddrive at or above 750GB that will last more than like 2-3 years and is under 100 bucks? Thanks :) 

More about : 6970

a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2011 4:52:07 PM

go with MSI, it has one of the best coolers and low price + 3 year warranty
March 13, 2011 4:56:55 PM

Unlocking a 6950 doesn't involve oc'ing actually. All you have to do is flash the bios with one of 6970 bios and the clocks are automatically adjusted to 6970 speeds (880/1375 for most bios). It is very safe (due to the dual bios) and it provides guaranteed results (on all reference models and some non-reference).

I always try to stick with XFX because of its double lifetime warranty. You won't need the video card for that long but its nice to have when you are putting it up on ebay to sell.

As for HDDs, Seagate and Western Digital have been good to me in the past. Support Japan and buy a Hitachi.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2011 5:03:32 PM

^+1
March 13, 2011 7:55:05 PM

Sounds good guys. I guess I'll go with either MSI and/or with XFX. I'm leaning to XFX because I have been recommended that by more people. I'll still be waiting for more responses before I make a decision.

And also, if the 6950 can unlock without OC.....technically, can't the 6970 unlock to something better as well? And plus, when you unlock a 6950 and it changes to the higher clocks of a 6970, that's kind of like OCing except it's rather automatic....right? Lol idk, I've never been to into unlocking cards.

March 13, 2011 8:11:56 PM

hmmm.....im really thinking about that one. But the xfx one is cheaper and has that double lifetime warranty...idk tho, i havent ever bought an xfx card. I need to do more research on the warranty to make sure its not a random gimmick.

If it is, i'll get the asus, it looks great, runs cool, and very quiet. If not, i'll get the xfx.
March 14, 2011 6:05:30 AM

MrAwesomeKid said:
Sounds good guys. I guess I'll go with either MSI and/or with XFX. I'm leaning to XFX because I have been recommended that by more people. I'll still be waiting for more responses before I make a decision.

And also, if the 6950 can unlock without OC.....technically, can't the 6970 unlock to something better as well? And plus, when you unlock a 6950 and it changes to the higher clocks of a 6970, that's kind of like OCing except it's rather automatic....right? Lol idk, I've never been to into unlocking cards.

No the 6970 can't unlock into something better.

All you are doing when you are flashing the 6950 bios to the 6970 is unlocking the shaders. The 6950 and 6970 are the same card except for a few minor differences.

1. 6950 and 6970 have 1536 shaders. The 6950 has 1408 usable shaders because the other ones are locked which is the whole reason behind flashing the bios so you can unlock them.

2. 6950 requires a 6+6 PCI-E connector. The 6970 requires 6+8 connector

3. I don't know if this is true but people say the 6950's memory isn't as good of quality as the 6970.

Here's something for you to read up on so you can check out the unlocking process yourself. It covers what you are unlocking, why you are unlocking, and how to unlock.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...

I did a first time overclock to my i7-930 and this is the first time I've ever flashed a GPU bios. Trust me when I say it is super easy and super safe. I'm not an expert by any means. If I could do it, you could do it. Just follow the directions on the site I linked.
!