Cannot burn CDs - _NEC DVD -RW ND-6500A

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2005 6:37:33 PM

Hi,

I have a problem with a DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive: _NEC DVD -RW ND-6500A
firmware: 2.24. First, it didn't want to burn any DVDs (Nero was just
freezing). After a reformat, now it burns DVDs but it doesn't burn CDs
(It says: "your compilation cannot be written on this kind of disk").
I've tried three different brand of CDs, but it just consider them as
non-writable. The drive works perfectly with both DVDs and CDs if I
take it out of the laptop and put in in a desktop, using a special
adapter. So the problem seems to be something else than the drive
itself...

What the hell could be wrong with this laptop?

neilsanner

windows XP SP2
Athlon 64 3400+
Clevo D470K Laptop
Device [1:0:0] _NEC DVD -RW ND-6500A 2.24 (D:) (ATA)
Nero 6.6.0.8

More about : burn cds nec dvd 6500a

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2005 7:10:23 PM

That's interesting, I have the same drive and get spurious interrupts
from it that eventually hang my system. I also can't read back DVD's
that I write with it. I figured it was a software incompatibility
problem (I'm running an old version of Linux on that machine) and
wanted to get around to upgrading kernels before getting upset.
I wonder if the ND-6500A itself is the culprit (firmware bugs).
I'm not sure what firmware rev I have.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 1:29:07 AM

neilsanner@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a problem with a DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive: _NEC DVD -RW ND-6500A
>firmware: 2.24. First, it didn't want to burn any DVDs (Nero was just
>freezing). After a reformat, now it burns DVDs but it doesn't burn CDs
>(It says: "your compilation cannot be written on this kind of disk").
>I've tried three different brand of CDs, but it just consider them as
>non-writable. The drive works perfectly with both DVDs and CDs if I
>take it out of the laptop and put in in a desktop, using a special
>adapter. So the problem seems to be something else than the drive
>itself...
>
>What the hell could be wrong with this laptop?
>
>neilsanner
>
>windows XP SP2
>Athlon 64 3400+
>Clevo D470K Laptop
>Device [1:0:0] _NEC DVD -RW ND-6500A 2.24 (D:) (ATA)
>Nero 6.6.0.8

I installed that unit in my Dell Inspiron 8200. No problems.
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 1:52:40 AM

Paul Rubin wrote:
> That's interesting, I have the same drive and get spurious interrupts
> from it that eventually hang my system. I also can't read back DVD's
> that I write with it. I figured it was a software incompatibility
> problem (I'm running an old version of Linux on that machine) and
> wanted to get around to upgrading kernels before getting upset.
> I wonder if the ND-6500A itself is the culprit (firmware bugs).
> I'm not sure what firmware rev I have.

Check Toshiba for firmware. I seem to recall seeing one for the 6500a
when I downloaded firmware for the 3500a.

a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 4:21:10 PM

I've tried different firmwares with no luck. By the way, there's no
"official" new firmware for that drive.
!