Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MOBO HELP PLEASE!CPU Fail Light

Last response: in Motherboards
May 5, 2012 6:56:10 PM

Hello,
I just started my new build and first big build for a gaming pc with a sabertooth z77 and ivy bridge.
I did a test boot with my cpu and ram (no gpu atm) and got an cpu failure light right away. There are not any bent or damaged pins on the socket at all, also cpu looks fine other that the pin spots on socket side from the mount.
I just tried to boot the mobo without the cpu and the led for cpu fail came on again went off then the fans started to spin. This sounds like a cpu socket failure to me but I am new to building and just want to be sure and get any feedback before submitting an rma. Also, I was grounded and didn't shock kill my mobo lol.

More about : mobo cpu fail light

a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2012 8:12:04 PM

Post your complete specification
m
l
May 5, 2012 9:13:30 PM

Sabertooth z77 3770k ivy 4x4 ripjaw coolmaster 850w psu
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2012 10:02:01 PM

Reseamble PC but only put 1 stick of RAM in your rig then startup
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2012 10:12:00 PM

If still same check your PSU with another pc or your friends
if psu not having trouble then carefully watch bent pins or smell coming form CPU or MOBO if it comes then RMA it.
m
l
May 5, 2012 10:48:20 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
If still same check your PSU with another pc or your friends
if psu not having trouble then carefully watch bent pins or smell coming form CPU or MOBO if it comes then RMA it.

At the risk of being an idiot is there a 8pin cpu power cable?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2012 11:00:55 PM

Yeah there's 8pin cpu header
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2012 11:06:36 PM

There are two kinds: the 4 pin 12V cable and the 8 pin 12V cable. The 4 pin cable is often called a P4 cable and the 8 pin cable is called an EPS12V cable. You must plug a cable into this motherboard connector or the CPU will receive no power. The compatibility rules between 4 and 8 pin connectors have a lot in common with the rules for 20 and 24 pin connectors. The best choice is to plug a 4 pin cable into a 4 pin connector, an 8 pin cable into an 8 pin connector, or a 4+4 cable into either kind of connector. You can get adapters which will convert various kinds of power supply cables into both 4 pin and 8 pin 12V cables. You can plug a 4 pin 12V cable into an 8 pin motherboard and it will sometimes work properly but other times it won't work at all or will burn/melt the connector. As with plugging a 24 pin cable into a 20 pin motherboard connector, you can plug an 8 pin cable into a 4 pin connector and leave 4 pins hanging over the end but you can also have the same problems with things preventing it from fitting. It will work fine if it fits. If you're buying a new power supply then the safest choice for the long haul is to get one with a 4+4 power cable because it's compatible with both 4 and 8 pin connectors.
May 5, 2012 11:15:36 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
There are two kinds: the 4 pin 12V cable and the 8 pin 12V cable. The 4 pin cable is often called a P4 cable and the 8 pin cable is called an EPS12V cable. You must plug a cable into this motherboard connector or the CPU will receive no power. The compatibility rules between 4 and 8 pin connectors have a lot in common with the rules for 20 and 24 pin connectors. The best choice is to plug a 4 pin cable into a 4 pin connector, an 8 pin cable into an 8 pin connector, or a 4+4 cable into either kind of connector. You can get adapters which will convert various kinds of power supply cables into both 4 pin and 8 pin 12V cables. You can plug a 4 pin 12V cable into an 8 pin motherboard and it will sometimes work properly but other times it won't work at all or will burn/melt the connector. As with plugging a 24 pin cable into a 20 pin motherboard connector, you can plug an 8 pin cable into a 4 pin connector and leave 4 pins hanging over the end but you can also have the same problems with things preventing it from fitting. It will work fine if it fits. If you're buying a new power supply then the safest choice for the long haul is to get one with a 4+4 power cable because it's compatible with both 4 and 8 pin connectors.

You are awesome. Just built yesterday I'm at work and was so depressed
m
l
May 16, 2012 5:39:17 AM

Best answer selected by viper0hr.
m
l
!