Final choice in two days, 560Ti or 570?

Rocass Nimbli

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I knoow this question has been asked, but I found the answers of little use.
Now hear me out.
In two days max, I am going to buy my first gaming pc in four years, comming from Mac as work computer and now missing the gaming world.

The rig I am buying is like this.
i5-2500 3,3 Ghz quadro core.
8 Gb ram.
1T either a seagate or a WD caviar HD
700w psu
Win7 Home
These should be the basics.

My problem is the machine is loaded with GTX 560Ti from Inno3D
Should I upgrade to GTX 570 or not?
I am going with nVidia, so please no replys of going with Ati.
I like both makes, but this time I am going nVidia.
The price difference for going 570 are 750 Dkr, in dollars it would be around 135$.

I would like to save that, if I should.
To give you guys a better look into my gaming interest here comes the games I will play, and note that I am by no means a hardcore power gamer, I am a casual fun gamer.
Shogun 2, Witcher 2, Skyrim ake TES 5, maybe Fable 3, Dragon age 2 and Origins, Assassins Creed 2 and maybe 3 and when it comes out swtor.
I am not into high rate fps games, as you can see.
My monitor will be my old viewsonic 23", can't remember the hz as it is currently in use by my sister and brother in law, so I do not have it at home.

I hope this will give you enough to help me make a choice.
A side note is that I would keep in mind that in a year or so, I could buy a second 560Ti and run SLI, never tried SLI beforee though.

Thank you on forhand.
R. Nimbli

Stay with the GTX560.It is newer than the GTX570 which means it's better at tesselation.Also the GTX560 consumes less power and won't create as much heat as the GTX570.

You should have no problem maxing out all those games with the GTX560.If you do go for an SLI setup sometime in the future the GTX560 scales much higher than a GTX570 in SLI.The GTX560 SLI will actually be much faster than the GTX570 SLI.

shrkbay

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
^actually 570SLI is faster than 560SLI + 570 is better @ tesselation. but the heat thing is true, you'll max out all of these games easily on 560 *even not needed OCing*, you can also OC it to almost 570 performance

Rocass Nimbli

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
So far thanks to the two of you.
My second concern is if the 570 is worth paying the ekstra 135$ for, in mind that I do not power game.
Hope for a few more viewpoints, as I look forward to a new era of my gaming life and a weekend evening of Shogun 2 with my boss and co-workers.

Didn't know the GTX570 was better at Tesselation.Thought that was just the new cards that were.

No i cannot justify spending that much more either.I think you will be quite pleased with the GTX560.Theirs no need to get a GTX570 if your not a power gamer.And if you ever feel your not seeing what you like you can always buy another GTX560 for SLI which is a very powerful combo.

Rocass Nimbli

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Your advice is greatly appriciated, also if I where to wait on the 570, I would have had to wait a week since it is out of stock atm.

Rocass Nimbli

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Seems a good idea to go with the 560Ti, and I just found out that the motherboard in the rig does not support SLI only Crossfire. Will cost me around 90$ more for the motherboard which supports SLI.
Not good, but after a little reading on both Crossfire and SLI, I found many more of the games I will be playing, which supports SLI. If i would go with Ati because of the motherboard, then I would get a few headaches again while considering the graphic card to chose.

So basicly my final cost will come at around 910£.

Gigabyte PH67A-UD3-B3 motherboard med SATA3.0 & USB3.0
CPU køler: Temperaturcontrolled cooling
Ram: Kingston 8 GB DDR3 DualChannel RAM
Harddisk: Seagate 1000GB SATA3 Fluid 6Gb/s 7200rpm
Grafik: nVidia GeForce GTX560Ti 1GB dedikeret PCI-E (NEW) (directX 11)
Kabinet: Vision Silent Phantom kabinet with lownoises and ekstra cooling
PSU: 700W psu supersilent 17dB
Sound: 8 kanals HD audio codec ALC889a Dolby (SoundBlaster komp.)
Drev: Sony DVD-brænder +/- Dual layer
Netcard: 100/1000 Mb/s Realtek 8111 Gigabit LAN
Windows 7 Home 64bit

The motherboard has to be changed to a
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 Socket 1155 USB3 og S-ATA3

Have no ide about the HD, but am considering a
WD 3,5'' Caviar Green 1TB SATAII GreenPower

Motherboards that say they are Crossfire can also do SLI.They should be compatible but i'm not sure.

If you want to go for an ATI card then a 6870 is a good choice.It performs right around the same as the GTX560 but the GTX560 is a little faster.Crossfire scaling is the same if not better than the GTX560.And with a 6870 you can still max out all of those games your playing.

Rocass Nimbli

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Gigabyte states only Crossfire, so I have to change.
I was just getting used to the thought of the 560Ti, but and no but.
Most games go with the SLI, from what I can find of info and still you mention the 560Ti is alittle better.
It all comes down to price now, but nVidia speaks to me.

I really think you should go ask some more informed people in the Motherboard section.From my understanding it's still a PCI-Expressx16 2.0 slot and they don't favor cards so i don't see why it wouldn't be compatible.And i've heard many people using different cards in SLI or Crossfire boards.
And the 6870 is still a very good card,the GTX560 is only better by a few(10) FPS in each game and benchmark.

Here's a review..
http://www.hwcompare.com/8890/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6870/

Rocass Nimbli

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I used the ana site you refered to and 560 Ti still looks good to me.
I will try asking the mobo forum, if I can post there, but I will also ask for an offer on the other mobo, so I can run SLI laterr on, it is sounding good to me to run two cards.

As you said it yourself your not really a hardcore gamer.Usually you would only use a Crossfire/SLI setup if your trying to max out everything.One of either 6870 or GTX560 is more than enough for your needs, in my opinion.I'm not trying to sway you in a different direction,the GTX560 is a really good card, i'm just saying it seems kind of a waste to buy a new mobo if you already have one thats fully capable.

Rocass Nimbli

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Mobo for SLI HAS ONE x16 and one x8, says when x8 is in use x16 will run at x8, this is getting harder, maybe just forget future SLI or will the x8 do?

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Sorry to ask a question but does that mean I wasted money on buying the 570? I bought it recently new for only 123 dollars. Should I go with 560?

Rocass Nimbli

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I am reading Crowe, just some of all the tech talk with codes and numbers are out of my league, have not worked seriously with pc for almost ten years, so I rather ask and be informed than not and gues my way around.
Thanks for your answer nonetheless.
Getting alittle nervous with all these new views, since I might just order the rig monday.
Forgot how many components you need to match, darn.

Just get a single GPU for now.Thats really all you'll need for quite some time.Learn along the way to your SLI or Crossfire setup.A single GPU doesn't have as much confusion and you don't have to worry as much.

Rocass Nimbli

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
You are right about that.
Still if they give me a good offer, then why not spend a few ekstra to be ready to go SLI also the other mobo does show off a few stronger sides for expansion, as far as I can decipher the informations given.