Sign in with
Your question

Computer/bios freeze troubleshooting

Last response: in Motherboards
May 5, 2012 9:06:29 PM

Hi all,

I really need some help! Here's the story: I put my computer together recently, and it worked perfectly through the Windows 7 installation. When I started updating windows and going into the Gigabyte Easy Tune 6 program, the computer would freeze. I would have to perform a hard restart; when I did so, the computer would start up very briefly, not even loading to POST, and then shut down. It would then restart again and do the same thing (not even load to POST before restarting). It would do this over and over again until I cut the power. I used the CMOS restart button on the board, and that didn't do anything.

I used the clear CMOS jumper on the board, and it would boot. It would load the bios defaults and go into the operating system. The computer then worked until I tried going into the ET6 program, then it would freeze and do the reboot loop again. It's done this a few times, and so I updated the bios to the most recent version. This did not help at all. It still does the boot loop, and now the clear CMOS jumper sometimes doesn't even work.

A few times, it has loaded and displayed a message saying the main bios is corrupted and it's loading from the backup bios. It would load all the way, then restart and go back into the reboot loop. I just tried the onboard bios switch, and it went back to the "corrupted bios" message and restarted. It boot looped twice and then went to the load bios defaults screen. I did a complete reinstall of Windows and didn't put any of the Gigabyte utilities on this time, but still have the same issue. Please help me resolve this boot loop issue! :fou: 

My system specs are below:

i7 3570k CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H mobo
G.SKILL 8GB (4x2) ram 1600 MHz
Corsair HX 1000W PSU
EVGA GTX 480
Kingston 120GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB HD
Windows 7 Ultimate

Any ideas?
May 5, 2012 9:32:14 PM

I had a similar issue before... try replacing the cmos battery, it worked for me..
May 6, 2012 12:49:27 AM

Hey! Thanks, I just tried that, but no dice. Any other suggestions?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2012 1:11:49 AM

Computer freezing problems like this are normally caused by faulty memory. Try running memtest86 for at least three passes to test. This should be the first test that you do before suspecting other components.
May 6, 2012 4:05:46 AM

Thank you for the tip. I'm running memtest now - so far no errors, but have only done one "pass" ... I'll let you know what happens after several tests.
May 6, 2012 4:48:40 AM

So ... that was interesting. Memtest86 went through two passes no problem. I left the room to let it run for about 15 minutes. When I got back, the screen was filled with "}xUR" repeating for most of the page (except for the top). The top of the page still had the test running, but I couldn't see any of the results because of the "}xUR" filling the page. So, yeah ...
May 6, 2012 2:08:18 PM

Here's an update, I ran Prime95 for about an hour with no problems. I turned off the computer afterwards, and then turned it back on, and it started boot looping again. I replaced the memory with some other sticks I borrowed from a friend {6GB (3x2) Kingston HyperX triple channel @ 1600MHz - I only put in two sticks so it would be dual channel.} The computer worked fine until I shut it down. When I started it back up, boot loops! So I'm guessing it's not the memory at this point.

Any other ideas?
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2012 4:45:59 PM

juddsan18 said:
So ... that was interesting. Memtest86 went through two passes no problem. I left the room to let it run for about 15 minutes. When I got back, the screen was filled with "}xUR" repeating for most of the page (except for the top). The top of the page still had the test running, but I couldn't see any of the results because of the "}xUR" filling the page. So, yeah ...

That's interesting, in which case I would suspect either the power supply or graphics card. Remove the graphics card and try running on the motherboards internal graphics. If it works without problem using the internal graphics then the problem could still be the power supply which you should test by substitution.
May 6, 2012 10:33:18 PM

Alrighty, so I checked the graphics card, and that's definitely not it - still freezes using mobo internal graphics. I don't have another power supply to use to check if that's it. I've been running Prime95 (when I can get into the OS) torture tests. I've run all of the different tests (small FFTs, large FFTs, and blend) with passes across the board. Wouldn't the tests fail if the PSU was faulty? I'm really starting to think it's faulty mobo bios (and since it's dual bios, that would mean *both* bios chips are bad). Is there a way to verify this? Or at least check the power supply to make absolutely sure that it's not the problem?

Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it. :) 
May 17, 2012 1:03:43 AM

I thought I'd update this thread - I RMAed the mobo. I will be receiving it's replacement on Friday. Apparently this problem is pretty widespread ...
!