Sign in with
Your question

Cpu temps/thermal paste

Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2011 4:42:40 AM

I just installed the hyper 212+ and my cpu temperature in bios is 46 C. Not overclocked cpu. Is this normal? I may have messed up when applying the thermal paste, I didn't clean it off when I first took off the stock cooler, instead I applied more paste and spread it around, then it was left in the open air for about 5 hours. That is when I installed the hyper 212+. Would it be a good idea to remove the existing paste and reapply some? If so, would I have to remove my cpu from the socket before doing this?
a c 172 à CPUs
August 18, 2011 5:01:54 AM

Always remove old paste, reapply new, and install the heatsink immediately.

A lint free rag and isopropyl alcohol can be used to remove old paste from both the heatsink and the CPU.

Generally, I do not remove the CPU fro the motherboard, but if you have a lot of paste to remove, it might not be a bad idea. If you do, take anti-static precautions.

Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

High temps: it's summertime in the Northern Hemisphere. If your system is not in an air conditioned room, your temps are going to be higher. If you do not have good air flow through your case, even with a good cooler, your temps are going to be higher.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
August 18, 2011 5:22:31 AM

Always, always clean of the thermal paste from the heatsink and CPU when you remove the heatsink. Apply a fresh layer of paste when you are ready to reinstall the heatsink.

The temps in the BIOS will generally be higher than in Windows since the CPU will be operating at full speed. Cool n' Quiet and SpeedStep do not kick in until Windows is loaded.
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2011 5:38:33 AM

Darn it was a pain to install that cooler so I guess I'll have to redo everything, and about the alcohol is it dangerous if some gets on the motherboard?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2011 6:17:34 AM

Alcohol won't do anything to the motherboard, but if it contains thermal compound it may cause issues. Remember you only need a little bit of thermal compound, the tube that came with the cooler can be used like 5 or 6 times easily. See how to properly spread the grease after application:

Note how little is used. It's really just there for the microscopic "holes" and "dents" in the CPU and heatsink, not to provide a layer for the cooler to float on.

EDIT: Follow linky here to see how Tom's suggest this (with a different cooler of course): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2...
m
l
!