Gaming computer present: advice needed!

kugashira

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Hello!
This is my first time buying parts to build a computer and I really need some help. In a few weeks I will be traveling back to my country and I want to get some parts to build a computer to my little brother (a gaming computer obviously!). I have read many articles and other topics so I have made myself an idea of what I will be buying. I wrote below all the parts I will be buying.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next 3 weeks.

Budget Range: About 650 $ for the listed parts.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Just gaming.

Country of Origin: I will be buying my parts in Switzerland.

Overclocking: Not for now, maybe in the future if I learn how to.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far this are the parts that I have selected:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K. 200 $

I do not intend to overclock for now, but I buy this version just in case.

Grapics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1 GB 200 $

I want a HD 6870 and this one was cheap, is there much difference between this one and the other manufacturers? Or is there any "best option" that is not much more expensive?

And these are the parts I really need advice with:

Motherboard: I'm really confused with the motherboard choice. I want something cheap that won't bottleneck neither the processor nor the graphics card. I need only 1 PCI-E slot, some USB slots, and I will be using only 1 HDD (no SSD). I would like to keep the overclocking option open if that doesn't increaso to much the price. I don't have any experience overclocking and if I did it, it would be some really basic stuff. I would like to keep the price of the motherboard below 150 $, but I could pay a bit more if that would really improve the performance of the computer. I just don't want to pay for "extra stuff" that I won't be using. Any suggestions, please?

RAM: I decided to get 8 GB of RAM and I would like to spend less than 120 $ in this unless I could get a significant improvement for a little more money. I also don't know if it would be better to get 2*4GB or 4*2GB.

Power Supply: I was thinking to get a 500 Watt unit but I don't know much more. If I could get something of good quality for less than 70 $ it would be nice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it's a lot I'm asking, hope anyone can help. Much appreciated!

kugashira

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Thanks for the answers! The ASRock P67 motherboard looks fits well my requirements but I can't find it in my store. Is there any equivalent in Asus or Gigabyte (if the ASRock has no equivalent in those brands I will search for it elsewhere).

As for the RAM memory I can't decide myself with these two options:
*Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8GB 8-8-8-24 139.90 $
*Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 8GB 9-9-9-24 99 $

I don't know if the 1600 MHz are worth the 40 bucks over the 1300 MHz or if it would be better to use it upgrading other thing.