which one to buy

as always I have difficulty deciding which notebook to buy. well I need
it for my postgraduate studies so I want to use Office, web browsing,
some games etc. my budget is up to $1500. In the stores around I can
find Acer, Toshiba, HP, Fujitsu Siemens and Sony notebooks. Since I
think that all are about the same I think going for the 2 year warranty
offered by Fujitsu Siemens and Toshiba is nice. about the specs i am
thinking Intel M 725 or 735 512 ram, 60gb hdd, Dvd+-r/ , modem56K,
Wireless 802.11b/g etc... Toshiba Tecra looks nice but I would like to
hear your thoughts on the matter. My only experience with notebooks is
my dad's Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D7850 which is ok but the battery doesnt
last for long and it is a bit heavy...thank you very much

Mike
7 answers Last reply
More about which

    "Mike" <MSaxp@pleasenospam.vivodinet.gr> wrote in message
    > as always I have difficulty deciding which notebook to buy. well I need it
    > for my postgraduate studies so I want to use Office, web browsing, some
    > games etc. my budget is up to $1500. In the stores around I can find Acer,
    > Toshiba, HP, Fujitsu Siemens and Sony notebooks. Since I think that all
    > are about the same I think going for the 2 year warranty offered by
    > Fujitsu Siemens and Toshiba is nice. about the specs i am thinking Intel M
    > 725 or 735 512 ram, 60gb hdd, Dvd+-r/ , modem56K, Wireless 802.11b/g
    > etc... Toshiba Tecra looks nice but I would like to hear your thoughts on
    > the matter. My only experience with notebooks is my dad's Fujitsu Siemens
    > Amilo D7850 which is ok but the battery doesnt last for long and it is a
    > bit heavy...thank you very much

    Its all about what you want/like/can afford. I happen to love my Toshiba
    Satellite 2430-S255. Its immaculate, has never given me any trouble and its
    quieter than many laptops I've been around. Unfortunately I'lll be selling
    it to help offset the chunk I just put down on an HP zd8000. I'm not an HP
    fan from prior experience but I really needed the fullsize keyboard with
    numpad they & Fujitsu make now. The latter was much more expensive with
    fewer options.

    I'll buy a Toshiba any day of the week. When they get on the ball and come
    out with a fullsize keyboard with numpad for a notebook then I'll probably
    sell the HP at a loss so I can move back to Toshiba. For tech
    support/warranty issues they are good as are many of them but you may want
    to add Dell to your list since you can buy extended plans through them.

    Another option is to buy a slightly/gently used but higher end laptop from a
    reputable ebay seller. Get more bang & hopefully longevity for your buck.
    That's how I got my maxed out Satellite.

    --
    Tara

    Good afternoon, Mike.

    Whatever you do, do NOT buy a Toshiba. Buy anything else, but not
    Toshiba.

    I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 that is on its fifth keyboard,
    third motherboard, fourth display driver board, and third display, all
    in the space of less than three years.

    The last time it was in the shop to be fixed (for yet another display
    board replacement), it took three weeks to get it back because the
    display boards were backordered and Toshiba refused to tell either me
    or the repair depot when any would be available... so all we could do
    was wait.

    At least I bought the extended warranty when I first bought the
    machine, so all of its woes have been fixed under warranty so far, but
    my business depends on having a reliable laptop and this one certainly
    ain't.

    Do yourself a BIG favor and steer clear of Toshiba.

    CJ

    How about a Thinkpad?

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:28:53 +0300, Mike
    <MSaxp@pleasenospam.vivodinet.gr> wrote:

    >It's funny cause it seems that everybody has a different opinion. Some
    >people told me Acer was great some others told me it was the worst. the
    >same for compaq and now the same for toshiba.

    I should emphasize that the only long-term experience I have is with
    the Satellite Pro 6100. There may be other Toshiba models that are of
    better quality.

    If you want to see more opinions on Toshiba in general and the
    Satellite Pro 6100 in particular, see:

    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_6100_PS610U-NGYSG7_PC_Notebook/display_~reviews/sec_~opinion_list/pp_~1/pa_~1#list

    Also see:

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/toshiba.html

    My general opinion of Toshiba as a company to stay away from is based
    on the fact that they would (a) put out a poor quality machine like
    this to begin with, and then (b) provide poor support and appear to
    express a desire to disown it and leave its owners (Toshiba customers)
    swinging in the breeze like it seems they're attempting to do.

    Any company can have the bad luck to put out a product that ultimately
    proves to be of poor reliability. The good companies stand behind it
    anyway, admit their mistake, and make things right for their
    customers.

    Also, even the best computers can fail and the best companies can run
    out of spare parts. But there's no excuse for the line we've gotten
    from Toshiba in the recent past, that a certain critical part is out
    of stock and they have no idea when any more will be available.

    There are plenty of "good" companies out there. Why take a chance on
    the others?

    I've been a strong supporter of IBM Thinkpads for years. My companie's
    sales force has gone through the gamut of brands from Compaq to Toshiba
    to IBM to Dell. The Toshibas were horrid for us and the IBMs were the
    best over all.

    The reality for us was that people treat their laptops differently.
    Some were quite careful and others were abusive to the point of
    absurdity. Even though my company has better pricing with Dell and our
    entire sales force uses Dells, I stil insist on using IBM. I don't know
    what kind of future the Thinkpads will have after the Lenovo purchase
    but the current line was designed by IBM before the transition so I
    feel assured that they'll be as reliable as they have been in the past.

    On 25 May 2005 13:42:24 -0700, "qp@iname.com" <qp@iname.com> wrote:

    > I've been a strong supporter of IBM Thinkpads for years.

    Do they make one with a 1600x1200 display and serial and parallel
    ports on the computer instead of on a docking station? I looked and I
    couldn't find one...

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:32:53 -0400, C. J. Clegg
    <answer.to.newsgroup@nospam.com> wrote:

    >On 25 May 2005 13:42:24 -0700, "qp@iname.com" <qp@iname.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been a strong supporter of IBM Thinkpads for years.

    >Do they make one with a 1600x1200 display and serial and parallel
    >ports on the computer instead of on a docking station? I looked and I
    >couldn't find one...

    Any color u want as long as it's black.

Notebooks Fujitsu Siemens Laptops