GPU for 350 Watt Dell PSU

artesian79

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
I'm looking for a GPU for 2 different Dell systems. They both have the stock 350 Watt PSU and both are used for light gaming. The gaming is logic, match 3, word games etc. vs "Tour of Duty". At first I didn't think I'd need any but after the systems grounding to a halt and a test of an older GPU helping, I find that I'm wrong.

I've looked at the best cards for "$" and under, and the hierarchy, but am a loss at which to begin looking for since the PSUs are stock and I don't think that the cost of a new one is really necessary for the light gaming that is done. Do you agree?

Can you suggest the highest capability GPUs for such a PSU? I'd like to stay under or around $100.

If I've missed the PSU needs of the cards suggested, or just didn't know what to "infer" it from, please let me know.

Thanks!

System 1: dell Inspiron 530 Core 2 Duo 2.3 with Radeon x1650
System 2: dell Studio 435MT i7 920 2.67 with loaned GEForce GT220 1GB DDR2

Both systems are used for digital photography as well as research and multiple office apps. The 2nd needs to scan 1000's of family slides....

Hi Fi Fan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a XPS 435MT with I7-920 2.67G as well! I just upgraded it last weekend with a Corsair 750 HX modular cabling system power supply ($128 after rebate) (note: I do not want unneeded cables inside the PC to slow down airflow and ventilation). I've also put in a new Sapphire HD 6870 graphic card ($169.99 after rebate). Both new upgrades work beautifully for me now! If you want to upgrade your XPS 435MT for digitial photography, it is imperative that you have a good graphic card. I encourgage you to spend a little bit more for a much better and faster system since you have I7-920 technology in your computer. You may see my product reviews and XPS 435MT upgrade instructions at Amazon.com