New i5-2500K and Gigabyte MB wont power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

dealpal

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hi,

I just finished assembling a new PC for myself using a brand new boxed i5 2500K and Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev. 1.3) board with some Samsung DDR3 ram. I am using my old 550W PSU (Ultra LSP) from my working system (where the PSU still works). Now when I try to power on the system I get no response at all.

I tried plugging in the PSU into my old PC and it would boot just fine... I tried using the new case with my old PC to check out the power switch and that too works fine. The tech support for the store I bought from thinks it could be motherboard and wanted me to exchange it, but I was wondering if it could be the CPU or PSU itself. Does anyone know what could be the issue in my case.

More details:
My old PC was a AMD Sempron chip with some equally old Nvidia graphics with at least 4 HDDs connected and never had any issue with the PSU (Which was replaced around 2 years ago).
In the new setup, I installed CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ on the new 2500K and have 2 sticks of 4GB samsung memory (brand new).. I also did a breadboarding test with no luck.

I will be heading to the store (1 hour drive each way) to get the motherboard exchanged, but was wondering if I should have them somehow check the CPU and PSU as well.. depending on your feedback, I'll insist on it.

TIA

What are the COMPLETE specs for your new computer? As Ultra isn't one of the better PSU makers, it could still be your problem. Have you tried this troubleshooting list:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
Work through the list...WORK, not just read!
It will catch some simple errors that would prevent your computer from booting. If you still have issues, tell us where in the list it failed, and we will try to help!

Good Luck!

dealpal

Honorable
May 5, 2012
@clarkjd Yes, I have run thru the steps listed there and not once did the mother board fire up (no fan spins even for a sec).

One thing I noticed since is that the motherboard has both the 8 pint atx_12v connector (which i connected) and the 24 pin atx connector (which I did not connect to).
Am I supposed to connect both the atx connectors to the PSU? Maybe that is my problem? If so, I can put it all together again before I make the trip to the store.

Sorry if it's a noob question.

EDIT: As for not connecting the 24 pin connector, the 1st image on the troubleshooting steps has a cross sign on the 24pin connector port.. I am assuming what I did is correct. The image I am referring to

Status
Not open for further replies.