Upgrade opinion needed

TommyV

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Over the next two months I will be upgrading my motherboard, cpu: gpu and psu

Right now I am running (please don't laugh)

Intel e6600 dual core Conroe
Asus p5n-e sli
msi hd 4850
rosewill 550 psu (very dependable btw, but many, many years old)

I already have a new case, Scythe Mugen, and g.skill 7 1600 eco ram already

In two months I plan to have:
Intel I5 2500k
Asrock Z68 Extreme4
Either an HD 6950 or a 560ti (haven't decided)
Corsair 650tx psu

Since I am a poor boy I have to divide my orders into two.

Would I be better off at getting the GPU and PSU first, or would that fancy new card bottleneck my old machine to the point of me not seeing any benefit from a new card until I get the other stuff?

I really appreciate everyone's opinion!

Thank you!

I believe it's just a typo, meaning i5 2500k and z68 extreme 4. Are you looking to cf/sli? Because OC+cf/sli would probably want a 750w psu. If you don't need quicksync or ssd caching, the p67 extreme 4 costs less.

I'd buy whatever you see goes on sale.

TommyV

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I had planned on getting the pro3, with only one pci-e slot, but it doesn't have heatsinks on the mosfets, and that kind of scared me away from it, as I intend to overclock.

Thanks jbakerlent! I'll remember that for future posts!

TommyV

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I seldom do computer upgrades, about every 5-8 years or so.

So if P67 and H67 turn out to be temporary vehicles, just so Intel could get Sandy Bridge to market, I don't want to be stuck wishing that I had bought the Z68. According to Gigabyte the p67 will only be produced until the end of the year.

For right now, there is nothing in the z68 that I will be taking advantage of. but just in case, considering how infrequent I upgrade I will be ready.

The Asrock Z68 Pro3 is only 4 phase, with overclocking, the life expectancy of the board will be hurting. I thought of going with some aftermarket Enzotech heatsinks. but that would bring the cost of the cheaper PRO3 board, closer in price to the Extreme4, which is an 8 phase motherboard, and already has the Mosfet heatsinks. So for overclocking longevity, the Extreme4 seems to be the way to go.

P67 and z68 are both socket 1155 and ivy bridge is supposed to be compatible with them both. But if you're going to upgrade a cpu in less than a year than you must be rich, which you obviously stated you are not. Don't get hyped up in what's to come, there will always be something better released every couple of months. Buy only what you need, only when you need it.

As before with the heatsinks, the phases really don't matter.

TommyV

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
k1114, you, along with other chipset reviews have convinced me. I will be going for the Asrock p67 pro3.

back to my initial question. Would buying the cpu/mobo first make more sense, or buying the gpu/psu first make more sense, considering game quality, bottlenecking and such.

I mostly play fallout new vegas right now.

thanks

TommyV

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I must not have been as specific as I should have been. I meant to ask solely about bottle-necking my old e6600. Alas, I will be ordering the p67 pro3 and the 2500k in the morning. The 6950 and psu will have to wait until next month.