Crash to reboot loop when gaming

liberated

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello, new poster here. I am at a loss of what to do, I have tried everything but come up empty every time.

Here are my specs:
Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core I7 - 2600k CPU @ 3.40ghz

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 motherboard

8GB ram

Nvidia 550TI

500W power supply

I was beta testing a new online game called Star wars the old republic, my old much slower rig ran the game fine, but I was in dire need of an upgrade. All my specs listed are new parts except the power supply. They were installed prior to the game, as well as a new install of windows 7 on a formatted hard drive.

I was running the game maxed out settings with forced anti aliasing. My computer would subsequently crash into a reboot loop upon entering the game world. The computer it would turn on, you would see the F12 for boot menu etc then crash restart in an infinite loop.

Updated the bios for my new motherboard

I thought my power supply was the issue so I unplugged all the fans except one + the CPU fan. Computer still crashed upon launching the game.

I burned the .iso of my OS onto a dvdr, so I put it in hoping to repair some files + finished updating, the game finally launched.

Turn to today, the the beta was over, so I install bad company 2. Thinking the power issue wasn't the problem I plugged all my fans back in, and cranked the settings up, load into the game. I crash within 20 seconds of a multiplayer game.

Unplug the fans, start up the game, crash within 1 minute.

Research shows my particular motherboard is prone to the reboot loop (Great) it however works just fine when normal shutdown/start up occurs. Some have told me my OS is corrupt, or it's a ram frequency issue. I am not too tech saavy when it comes to computer, but I dont know what else to do. I spent a good chunk of change trying to upgrade my system and I can't play any games/intensive programs except BROWSE the internet

Just went into advanced BIOS and turned off the motherboard gpu, at it was set to be on, it is now set to be on when no card is present. Game now crashes, but 1 minute later than normal

Any ideas?

This is NOT the power supply.
You loaded a BETA version, that's what beta is, UNTESTED. It's full of unresolved bugs.
No wonder it crashes. And it may not be compatible with windows 7, or your antivirus.
When you download free stuff off the internet, expect problems. The problem is probably not the computer at all, it's the junk free software.
And just because somebody posts a free game download, does not mean it will run, or that it's safe to run, or that it WILL run on a 64 bit system.
Get real, get microsoft certified software, and above all, STOP downloading "free" games from the internet. You are just asking for something bad to happen.

liberated

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

um free software?

My 64bit Windows 7 is legit. As well as Star Wars the old republic, it isn't free software, it's a game 1 week from release as well as a new massive MMO

The beta ran fine on my old rig, and I even mentioned how it started to work after I updated windows.

My concern was I put in an another game, battlefield bad company 2, and the same issues were recurring. The game runs for 20 seconds to 1 minute then the computer crashes - black screen - reboot loop.

Nothing mentioned in the OP was free software, obtained from internet pirating.

What kind of PSU?

A 550Ti only needs about 140 watts, but your symptoms match inadequate PSU. Does your 2D desktop and and apps run without crashing? If so, I would suspect PSU.

Here's what I suspect is happening:
System boots and runs desktop. You load demanding 3D game. 12 volt PSU load increases. 12 volt rail drops out of tolerance. You lose the "PowerGood" signal from power supply. This forces a hardware reset. 12 volt load drops. 12 volt rail goes back into tolerance. System boots ... .

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Well done,