Sign in with
Your question

Why is my TurboBoost on max?

Last response: in CPUs
August 18, 2011 2:11:07 PM

I have an Intel i5 2500 (3.30 GHz) on my home built computer, for the past 3 weeks, which is the time I've been using it, my TurboBoost, enabled on automatic, was always off, except for very rare situations when the bar went up (the bar that is displayed on my windows sidebar gadget) or when I played games, naturally.

Today I installed a new fan on my computer case, probably has nothing to do with it, but I opened the PC up, just connected the fan and put it together again, and now my Turbo Boost is always at 3.50-3.70 GHz, on idle. The bar never goes below 3.50, and I'm having CPU idle temps of 50ºC.

I restarted the PC twice, went on BIOS and set everything to default, the TurboBoost is still pumpin' there. I don't know what's going on. All the changes I did were connecting a new case fan to the PSU.

Any ideas? I can't bear feeling that my CPU is pushing itself hard just to be idle.

More about : turboboost max

August 18, 2011 2:33:23 PM

This is the Turbo Boost Meter btw. Pardon me for double post, this really is troubling me.

August 18, 2011 4:08:31 PM

I just fixed my problem.

It was a resource hog by the name of PresentationFontCache. It didn't show up on my Processes window, I had to go to resource manager to find it was using 25% of the CPU. Explanations on what it is and how it can be fixed can be found here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/wpf/thread/2...
a c 188 à CPUs
August 18, 2011 5:29:38 PM

Glad to hear that you got it taken care of. Turbo Boost looks at what is being used and the heat being generated by the processor. If the heat isnt an issue the processor can be clocked up a good deal.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
!