Sign in with
Your question

New Budget Computer build 450-550

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2011 2:39:22 AM

I'm looking to build a computer for a friend. I'm on a budget of about $500, I really don't want to break $600 or go too close to that price.
Approximate Purchase Date: This Week

Budget Range: 450-550 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Office, Internet, youtube, futureproof a bit.

Parts Not Required: Video card and monitor and OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Country of Origin:

Parts Preferences: I want good value I was looking at AMD or Intel but looking at comparison, even though price might be similar, it seems Intel takes the cake in value and performance. I Felt with AMD i'm saving maybe 20-40 but getting outdated and not as efficient parts but with Intel newer. Looking at Z68 chipset and new sandy bridge CPU with on-board GPU. Possible future expandability to a dedicated graphics card in a year or two times. Case must have a wow effect and be elegant, quit, feel sturdy and rich.

Overclocking: maybe, not main concern though, but a plus.

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: has to handle 1080P

Additional Comments: Needs to be a very nice quality case that makes you wow when you see or touch it, quality part but doesn't break the bank. Pleasant to build with. Should be quite. Trying to stay under $100 for case, but willing to bend if somewhere else can be trimmed without too much sacrifice. Removable tray, cable wiring, and such is a plus. Would like to use a quality 80 plus certified PSU that will last.

This is what I have so far:

Kingston HyperX 4GB 47.99
ASRock Z68 PRO3 129.99
Intel Core i3-2100 124.99
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 89.99
Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 59.99
RAIDMAX Blackstorm 79.99
LITE-ON Black 24.99
Logitech MK200 29.98

Total: 587.91
May 24, 2011 2:59:53 AM

switched the memory out for a Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB which is 39.99, bring total down to 579.81
m
l
May 24, 2011 5:08:45 AM

the motherboard is out of stock :( 
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2011 6:24:40 AM

You don't need Z68, let alone P67 for a non-overclockable CPU. Check out my $450 build guide. Since you aren't gaming, drop the 4830, which would save you $70 dropping you down to $380. Just swap the i3 2100 for an i5 2400 and you'd have a total of $430. You don't need a 500w PSU and the WD Black is useless in comparison to a F3 1TB. It's $30 more money and would only perform the same because it's a mechanical drive. Go with the F3 and save.

Guide: http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
m
l
May 25, 2011 7:09:51 AM

I don't have a 4830 in my build, not sure if you accidentally replied in a wrong thread. so no that wouldn't drop it down to 380. Why is a F3 better, is there a benchmark comparing the two? what brand is F3?
also in my post I specifically mentioned I need this computer to be upgradable, hence the power supply selection, since in future it should support a good load, like a new generation graphics card.
I need more help with a good case, there are so many available. Need to be Mid-tower, cute/elegant, high class to touch and look not cheap feeling. So that you know computer is custom, yet elegant.
m
l
May 25, 2011 7:10:35 AM

willing to bend the budget for case!
m
l
May 25, 2011 9:51:13 AM

I like the raidmax white blackstorm case but the front has no door, which is something I was looking for otherwise it looks perfect. I was also considering the Corsair 600D white special edition case. haven't seen anyone operate open front, I have no idea how it works looks, if there is a door or what? otherwise also has alot of features.
What Heatsink can you put so it will look cool in window, quite, doesn't have to be a big performer since overclocking won't be done, more for looks. A word with LEDbacklit would be cool, but haven't heard of any?
m
l
May 25, 2011 9:22:54 PM

I was referring to my build, dropping the the 4830 in my build would save you 70$. The stuff I was saying was referring to the changes to the build guide.

The F3 performs the same as a SATA II Black drive but cheaper, SATA III makes no difference at all if they are both mechanical drives, SATA can only make so much of a difference to two drives spinning at 7200RPM.

The 600T is what you're referring to and there is not reason to pay $180 for a build like yours, but if you are willing to spend solely on aesthetics it's your choice on what case you get. On such a budget I wouldn't be being a 100$+ case but your choice.
m
l
!