Need a p67 or z68 board for gtx 480 triple sli

G

Anyone know where i can get a decent tri sli board for under $250?I dont care if its p67 or z68 i have an I5 2500k.thanks in advance..

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I run a pair of GTX 470s in SLI on the ASRock Extreme6 P67. They scale well (alomost a 90% performance boost), but the big issues are power and heat. Unless you are running a fully water cooled rig, you will have to be very mindful that the GTX Fermi GPUs are HOT, HOT HOT! Your case cooing has to be well managed, as well as the GPU cooling. I modded out a PCNY GTX 470 with the Zalman 2000F cooler and placed it in the top slot (as the top GPU runs hottest). You will need to use some aftermarket cooling or get non-reference cards (if you don't water cool).

Your PSU will have to be 1200 W + if you want to have sufficient overhead to power these power-hogs.

BTW the info on scaling 3 GTX 480s in SLI is similar to the GTX 570s and for the most part it is not worth the coin: http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles/GTX%20570/P21.html

G

I agree with most of what you say but a good 1000 watt should be sufficient for 3 cards.I seen where they tested 4 cards and never even hit 1200 watts on full load.I do agree though 1200 watt would be safer for the overhead.I actually ordered a rosewill 1300 watt lighning which will run anything i throw at it id think.More benches i see on tru sli 480's im thinking ill stick with 2.Im running 3 monitors so 2 of them overclocked to 825+ mhz should be better then stock gtx 580's.I am running a galaxy overclocked edition which runs under 65 celcius oerclocked and will slap a vf3000 aftermarket cooler on my evga.I just hope it fits those coolers are thick